What's new

Is this a good system? (1 Viewer)

Cyn

Auditioning
Okay. I went to the Home Theater place here and this is what they requested to me and being a novice, everything sounds great but I really liked the sound of this system.

Definitive BP-200GTL Front left and right $1079.00 pair
Definitive CLR2300 Center $530.00
Definitive BP-2X Rear left and right $449.00 pair
Definitive Procenter 100 Center rear $179.00

Receiver Denon AVR-1803 $449.00

What do you guys think? Is this a good set-up? Is it easy for a complete, total novice (and my husband is electronically challenged) so I would have to do it myself :} to hook up and learn how to use all those remote controls etc.

Also when they prewire for my components, what kind of wire should I use? Someone mentioned 12 gauge. Is it necessary? What would the difference be? Is there a big difference in cost? Is it worth the difference in cost?

Thanks again for all your help.
Mahalo (thanks),
Cyn

Cyn

Auditioning
I also wanted to know between these three speaker companies, which one is better? Definitive, Polk, Energy.

Thanks again,
Cyn

Tom Moran

Agent
First off I don't really think that better or worse comparisons apply to speakers as sound is a really subjective thing and each persons hearing and tastes are different as well. All three of the brands you mention are high quality components.

If both you and your husband like the way a set of speakers sound you are on the right track. I've been auditioning these three brands of speakers and a few more over the last few months for my first home theater and have been a pretty critical music listener for many years. I have to say that to my ears the Definitive speakers your shop has recommended sound better than any others I have heard mainly because they have such a rich and enveloping sound and great stereo separation. For home theater they are a great choice.

I've also settled on a higher end version of the receiver your shop recommended after a fair amount of research and listening so it would seem to me that they are steering you in the right direction by recommending quality components and suggesting you spend most of your money on the speakers because they are the most important thing. They should be happy to walk you through any setup issues you run into with a quick phone call. Ease of setup is not really an area where one system is any better than another as they are all pretty much the same apart from the "theater in a box" kits at the lower end of the market.

Good luck,

Tom

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
In terms of your original speaker line-up, you have included a rear center speaker. You have said that the back of your room opens to the kitchen, so perhaps a rear center wouldn't be feasible (unless hung from the ceiling). Did you tell the salesperson this?

If you dont go with the DefTech w/ bipolar spkrs and built=in subwoofer, you will want to consider a freestanding powered (amplifier inside) sub w/any other spkr set.

bill

Cyn

Auditioning
Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding. I am going to go 6.1 and yes I am going to mount the center speaker on the ceiling, I think. My other option was may be to have the same speakers BP2006 in front left and right and back left and right and have them on the floors and not mount anything on the ceiling since my ceiling is at least 12 feet high. What do you think? Overkill? I looked at my measurement of my room and it is 17' long and 14' deep, then the kitchen.

I am not going to get a separate subwoofer. Do you think I need one?

Thanks again, you guys are the best. I am learning so much.
Cyn

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Cyn,
Definitive Technology is a speaker maker which specializes in big floorstanders with built-in subwoofers. It's a unique style for most of us. The model shown you actually is DT BP2006TL. It has an 8-in subwoofer for the lowest bass and an internal 250-watt amplifier. DT does make non-powered models, and I believe the BP6B is an equivalent, at ~$800 pair, which used as rears (no subs needed in these) wud approach "high-end" :)
I've never heard them, so I have nothing to judge. Perhaps users will come on here and say why they swear by 'em. Perhaps you like the black piano finish.
It's a choice that is unusual in the mainstream of home theater, but may be just for you. When I say mainstream, I refer to two main speakers in which the all the cones point from one face into the room. In this array, a separate subwoofer is used, usually placed in the front corner with a round cable (not speaker wire) run to the amplifier. Here, in this arrangement, running a 5.1 or 6.1 system without a sub is like running your car with one spark plug wire pulled out. No performance, loss of oomph.
I would not suspect that your store salesperson was trying to upsell you. In good faith, he probably was responding to your perceived needs as you explained them.
And yes, DefTech makes a separate subwoofer, too.
So I hope you can get more responses here with suggestions about the Energy and Polk lines, but perhaps we need to know if the $2,300 you are willing to spend on the original Def series is your ceiling. Responders should remember you live in Hawaii and cannot get all of the other fine speakers available on the Mainland.
bill
p.s. Follow Tom Moran's thread also in the Basics Forum re Denon and DefTec gear and layouts.
Here are some reading guides and terms

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Cyn. Welcome to HTF! :)
I own DefTech and simply love them for their bipolar sound for movies.
One think about bipolars: you really want to pull them 2-3 feet into the room. The back-fire sound needs the time delay to help your room feel more like a theater.
Speaker Wire: Just buy a spool of good 12 ga wire and use it everywhere. One of the better values is the "Sound King" brand from www.partsexpress.com . This stuff will run you about $0.40/ft. Your salesman will try to sell you thinner 16 ga for $1+ per foot. Dont let him.
I also recommend the dual banana plugs (xxx-308) from Radio Shack. These make it easy to do a neat & safe wireing job to the speakers. They are about $6 per set. Buy the dual plugs for the speakers, but buy the single plugs (xxx-306) for behind the receiver.
You should also buy the Radio Shack analog SPL meter for about $45. This will help you adjust the volume for all the speakers to blend better in your room.
Check the FAQ/Primer for lots of information on this and other topics.
When you are ready to hook things up, let us know and we can advise you step-by-step how to do it.
This whole section is for newbies. We havent lost one yet so feel free to post your questions. But big hint: do a "search" first as someone may have just asked the same question last week. :)
Good Luck.

C

Chris*Liberti

Sounds like a good setup. The only thing I might change would be the Denon 1803. With the price of the speakers you are looking at I would be looking at midrange recievers like the Denon 3803, H/K AVR520, Onkyo 797 or 800 when it is out, etc. Also If you can find a dealer that has M&K speakers they have a similar sound the the Definitive's and you may like them as well in the same basic price range. Out of Definitive, Energy, and Polk they are all good speakers and it is just your judgement which is better. I prefer the Definitive's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks