Is this a good price for Paradigm Studio setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tyler Stranik, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Tyler Stranik

Tyler Stranik Auditioning

My local dealer quoted me this for a Paradigm setup that I'm wanting... I think it's a decent deal but I'd like some opinions...
    Mains: Studio 60's
    Center: 470
    Rears: SA-15R's
    These are all the v.3's and he's quoting $2270 for the package. Good deal?

2. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

what's the difference between studio and monitors?

3. Tyler Stranik

The Studio series is part of their 'Reference Product'...
    "Paradigm® Reference is the leading-edge high-end division of Paradigm, dedicated to providing state-of-the-art performance for the absolute finest in music and home theater sound!

The design mandate for Paradigm® Reference includes very ambitious goals: vanishing levels of coloration, substantial gains in timbrel accuracy, significant imaging improvements - in dimensional spaciousness as well as localization - and finally, tangible improvements in bass articulation, pace and the ability to resolve dynamic contrasts.

To achieve these lofty goals, Paradigm® Reference uses the most sophisticated high-performance drive units available, highly advanced enclosure technologies and highly refined crossovers to achieve all new standards in sound performance and technological design excellence.

And the critic's agree. Paradigm® Reference has received rave review after rave review and has quickly become the speaker of choice for high-end enthusiasts around the world!

Paradigm® Reference Active pushes the high-end envelope a quantum step further. These astonishing fully powered systems have amplifiers and electronic crossovers that are built into the speaker system itself. This allows for even greater design and engineering precision. Paradigm® Reference Active utterly shatters all preconceived ideas of what is possible in high-end sound from compact speaker systems!"

4. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

I think that may be a good price. The studio 60 v2 were 1200/pair msrp. and the v2 center was $500 (IIRC). I know the v3's are ~15-20% higher in price. I dont know the mspr on the surrounds you mentioned.

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

From the Paradigm press release in June 2003:

Suggested retail prices (Studio .v3) are as follows:
    Studio 20 – $800/pair;
    Studio-40 – $1100/pair;
    Studio 60 – $1500/pair;
    Studio 100 – $2200/pair;
    CC-470 – $600/each;
    CC-570 – $800/each; and
    ADP-470 in White or Black Ebony at $950/pair.

These are US prices.

Sorry don't know what the SA-15R is...

6. Tyler Stranik

The SA-16R is their 8" reference series ceiling mount speaker. It retails for $600 a pair I believe. It all works out to about %15 off MSRP. Is that fair for a full setup of Paradigms?

7. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

I think `15% off is very good, for new products. That beats some "out of box" deals around here.

Go for it, and enjoy !!

8. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Tyler:

You might want to check the drivers in the SA-15R to see if they are a "timber match" for the 60's.

I have the 60's (v2) and the SA-10R was the same size drivers and the best match. The 15R's had the same size drivers as the V2 Studio 80's.

Mike

9. Tyler Stranik

Mike, I was under the impression that timbre matching didn't have much to do with the size of the speaker but more to do with the components used... for instance, on the v2's the 20's, 40's, 60, 80's and 100's all were 'timbre matched' with the studio CC center, but they didn't all share the same size woofers. Can we have some more opinions here? I would think that since both the 10R and 15R share the same tweeter but one is an 8" woofer vs a 6.5" that they would share the same timbre matching traits.

10. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I think you will have done well with 15% discount in the US especially on the new product line -as has been posted here previously.

IMHO the rear surrounds are not as important to timbre match to the fronts in a mostly Home Theater situation unless you listen to DVD-A or SACD as well. In those cases people seem to suggest full sized speakers all around d/t bass management issues anyway.