Is this a good plan for my system? **long**

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok right off the bat... I change my mind alot. You all have proably realized that but... I still know what I truly want. I think in the end I want to end up with a nice surround sound system. But doing some thinking today I "think" I decided to do a really good 2 channel setup now. When I watch tv it is mostly television. But when Im home working, cleaning, etc... I always have some music going. So I think I want a good 2 channel setup first.

What I want is a Krell KAV-400XI for x-mas. Then when my birthday comes up in april I will get my speakers. Either Kef XQ-5's or B&W Nautilus 805's. I will be getting a sunfire sub along with either of those systems.

Does that sound like a good system or even just a good plan?

Now do you guys think I would need a 2 channel integrated amp that big? I would love it just because. But do I need it? Will a denon AVR-982 work just as good?

I have listened to the krell 300IL at my work and listened to denon, sunfire, etc. The krell seems to have better imaging... makes you feel like you are there. I know after I heard that I wont be happy with anything else.

Now also I can use this amp with the "theater throughout mode" to integrate into a 6.1 or 7.1 system later right?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

"I know after I heard that I wont be happy with anything else."

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

"Now also I can use this amp with the "theater throughout mode" to integrate into a 6.1 or 7.1 system later right?"

Mmm if you sell these can't you or someone at your store answer this?

I'd build a nice 2 channel first if I started over knowing what I do now.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Cool thank you. I think thats the way Im going to do it now. Or maybe buy a krell showcase preamp and get the amp and speakers later.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

maybe see about getting those units into your home for an audition might not be such a bad idea.

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I would always advise for someone to build an HT from a great 2 channel rig.

But if you are thinking of this route because you watch primarily TV and listen to music in the background around the house. Go ahead and get the full fledged HT system.

You will never really notice a difference in sound with TV as a source or if you are not sitting in or near the sweetspot for music listening.

If the times you find yourself in the sweetspot is primarily just TV or when watch a movie then again I think you will get better usage for your dollar out of the full fledged HT system.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

7. Jesse Sharrow

Nothing. I own nothing right now. I have a cheapo toshiba dvd player, mitsubishi vcr, rca pos tv and a monster HTS2600. :-D

8. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

well... if you buy a preamp first it'll just be a very expensive decoration unless you have a poweramp to go with it.

you could buy a nice multichannel preamp and a highquality two channel poweramp, and as you add more speakers, add more poweramps?

9. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

With high end gear like you're talking about, it will be VERY important to listen to it in your home environment. I know there's a big cost difference but I personally have never cared for the sound of Krell KAV line equipment with B&W Nautilus speakers. Their Class A line with Nautilus speakers is a different story, absolutely love them together. YMMV