Is this a good Paradigm deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Olsen, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

$995 for;
    (2) Phantom mains
    (1) CC-270 Center
    (2) Focus rears

Just want to double check, because the dealer I am dealing with has been iffy for young buyers in the past. =(

2. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

The list price for that setup (assuming everything is v3 and new) is $1100. You're getting a 10% discount over list which is a reasonable deal.

3. Andy Young

Andy Young Stunt Coordinator

With 15% off list, I just paid $1150 for Phantom mains, Atom surrounds, CC-270, and PDR-12.

The sub was around $275. So, the price of your system with Atoms instead of Focus, cost me ~$875.

For me, MSRP on Atoms was $199 and Titans were $229. I don't know anything about the Focus speakers. BTW, I chose Atoms for rear surround due to their size -- I'd have paid the $30 extra for Titans, but they were simply too large for surrounds.

It would seem to me that using the Focus is major overkill for surround speakers. For use as mains, I think you'd hear differences between Atoms, Titans, and Focus. For use as surrounds, those differences will become minimal. I'd seriously recommend auditioning the system and swap out the surround speakers. Find out how much it's worth it to you to have Focus speakers as surrounds.

Good luck.

4. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Having full(er) range speakers in the back will matter if you ever want to get into SACD or DVD-Audio...just a thought...

Otherwise, I agree. I just helped a friend buy a Focus/cc270/atom/pdr-12 combo.

5. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

I wanted to keep the Focus because the driver would be the same in all the speakers.