Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

My quest for the perfect tv continues...Still cannot choose between fp and rp however,if this is ok,it might help.
    I wandered into a sears scratch and dent store today.They had the 47" panny for $1299,as is but the exteneded warranty is like $200 for 3 years or somthing like that.
    Whadda think?
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

Hiya Mr. Chad,
    Answer to your question... NO!! That is, if it's the one from the Southside. I've tried to fiddle with there TV's every chance I get... and they just have them set in "Torch" mode. The salemen just ignore me now and wait till I leave to "fix" things back. That's okay, because I'll "educate" his customers in front of him..hehe.
    Still no RPTV for me yet, but we in the process of building and I have the "go" on that being the first toy I get to put into it!!! I'm going with either the Tosh HX or the Pioneer.

3. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

If you can get the FP then by all means skip the RPTV and go for it, trust me, you won't regreat it. Fp is the closes you can get to the "theater" look we all try to achive. Now, you better have an exclusive HT room with total light control. Depending on your needs you can get a CRT but you'll need a HTPC or image processor for it. If you don't want CRT then there is LCD and DLP wich are very good too IMHO. In any case there is no comparison between FP and RPTV. I had to take that desicion my self some time ago and I couldn't be happier with my LCD (sony W400Q).
    The best thing to do is to demo each technology so you can decide which works best for you. Try the AVS Forum for projector info.
    Regards

4. Chad Isaacs

Hank,long time.Wish you could of made it to the get together at Seth Paxtons,we had a good time.Actually,it is the shop in speedway shopping center,they just have appliances and tv's,all scratch and dent junk.Congrats on the new crib!
    Luis,I have seen the same model projector you have in action,even with very many hours on the bulb and a somewhat lit room,it still looked like it is somthing I could be happy with,hard part is finding one...but the ones I do find,look to be in my budget...when I get my budget together.
    I have been following your threads at avsf also,Looks like you wannna jump on the crt ship.I know you can find a decent used crt for a few grand or so,but like you said,you have to add on to that and then the price shoots out of my ball park.So right now,it is going to between a lcd/dlp fp or a rptv.If I do the rptv,it will be used for all my viewing needs but if I get to do the fp,just movies and special event type stuff on the dish...tough call!But I have a few months to shop around.Hopfully I can see some more stuff in action.
    ------------------
    Chad's DVDs

5. Luis Gabriel Gerena

I am glad you've seen it altough IMHO the W400Q needs a pitch black room to really shine due to its low lumen rating. Still, seems that you like it and I am happy for that. Yes I was contemplating the idea of trying a CRT since I don't mind tweaking (I find it rewarding) but the installation seems to be too problematic at this time and unfortunately I no longer have the money I was thinking to spend so I'll have to sell my W400Q in order to get the CRT and thats something I WON'T do. My baby 400 is staying with me till it dies hopefully 100 years from now [​IMG] As you can see I really like my FP.
    I hope you can make up your mind soon and start enjoying your new toy. If you have any questions regarding the W400Q just drop me an email.
    Regards
    PS ( My HT rooms is all black and I mean ceailing, front and side walls. Let me tell you that this change made a HUGE differnece in picture quality)
    [Edited last by Luis Gabriel Gerena on October 22, 2001 at 05:17 PM]

6. Chad Isaacs

Luis,is it true that they have a 3000 hour bulb?Thats pretty awsome if its true.
    Tweaking a crt would not be an issue because I love to do that junk,half of the fun for me but like I said,by the time you get the projector and all the other essential items it would be over the budget I plan to have.
    ------------------
    Chad's DVDs

7. Luis Gabriel Gerena

The thing with CRTs is that you need some type of image processor or HTPC so that adds to the cost and possible problems.
    Regarding the 3000 hour lamp...well thats what the specs say but it seems that the most people gets from a lamp is about 2000. I think it depends mostly on how you use the projector. Someone who turns it on to watch a 30 minute show then turns it off again just to turn it on 2 hours later will not get too many hours from the lamp as this type of use is a killer. While some one who watches hours of continous programming without constantly turning it on and off during the day should probably get a lot more hours from the lamp. Also the darker the room the longer you could use a lamp without been bothered by the lower lumens output due to its age.
    C'mon my friend join the FP comunity [​IMG]