What's new

Is this a good Diet? (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I don't know if caffeine will hurt weight loss, maybe if the persons body is already peaking but not for a novice. Caffine will get you heart pumping closer to you target heart rate for burning fat. I think a lot f people that have bad side effects on Ephedrin abuse it and take 3x the dosage, I don't take it so I am just speculating.

When you run, you can run everyday if you want but when you do make sure your target heart rate is at fat burning levels, if it too high you will burn less fat and more muscle(or something to that effect). The fat burning heart rate is actually pretty low, I am 28 and my THR only needs to be around 124. When you run, try and run for no less than 20 minutes 30 to maybe 40 would be ideal.

Meals: Just try and have a low fat low carb diet and still try and have a good amount of calories(don't starve). Lunch/Dinner just have plain chicked breast, or plain turkey breast, or a 6oz piece of fish, or a steak, all these have low carbs and low fat but give a nice chunck of protein. Add some brown rice or maybe a baked potatoe(plain or put a little hot sauce on it), and some green beans or something similar. My breakfast(when on) is 5 egg whites, 1 egg, 1/4 cup plain oatmeal(with some syrup for taste), 1 piece of toast and a glass of milk. Your light meals(like brunch) I just eat a banana or a cup of yogurt with some protien.

I agree eating more meals will actuall help your metabalism.

Without knowing your exact goal it is hard to give a specific diet for you. How old are you(helps to determine target heart rate for running)? How much do you wiegh(can calculate how many calories you should be eating)? How long to you want to diet to lose the fat/wieght(way of life or short term solution)?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Do your research. We've got a least one or two other threads on here about diet and exercise. Without repeating those threads, just eat a balanced diet, do your research, with a slight reduction in total calories and an increase in protein and complex carbs. Do cardio 3 times a week and weight train three times a week. Don't take ephedrine and caffeine suplements. They are risky and not something you want to depend on. You can do it all yourself. I did, and so did many people here and elsewhere. Do not drink diet pop. Artifical sweeteners are not what you want either. Eat within the 30 minutes after you workout or do cardio. If you wait longer, you are doing yourself a dis-service. The sooner you eat after exercising, the higher proportion of the food you eat goes to replace muscle glycogen (energy), while the rest is stored as fat or undigested (passed). If you wait longer, your body stores less of the incoming food as glycogen and more as fat. While trying to lose fat, you want to be healthy from eating a balanced diet, and not only lose fat and build muscle, but improve your fitness with your exercise.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Right now I weigh around 184, I'm 22 years old, and I'm 6 feet tall. I'm not sure what the ideal weight is but I figure I could just tell when the time comes. I have a horrible thing though that does my body a great injustice, I do not eat fruit. It's just something I never had a taste for. So that hurts the diet thing and my overall health.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Many, many nutritionists do NOT agree with the whole insulin/fat issue, so I'm at all not convinced that caffeine will contribute to weight gain.

That said, GET OFF THE EPHEDRA. DOZENS of deaths have been linked directly to Ephedra, mostly by heart attack. Jeez, ephedra WITH a caffeine pill, FOLLOWED by exercise?! What are you trying to do, kill yourself?! The Food and Drug Administration seriously wants to ban Ephedra, but their hands are tied because it's not a food or a drug.

There IS no pill that will make you lose weight HEALTHILY. The only way to do that is to eat right and exercise.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was said that caffeine tends to make your fat free in the bloodstream so you burn more but whatever the case, I wouldn't use it to achieve those ends. I just keep eating food and drinking water and soy milk. Caffeine works on me like a switch. I drink caffine beverages and I pee like crazy so thats why I avoid it.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I thought it was said that caffeine tends to make your fat free in the bloodstream so you burn more
You can only burn fat when there is no glucose available. And in order for there to not be any glucose available, you'd have to eat an extremely low carb diet. As long as you're eating carbs, your body will use that for fuel, not fat. In the absense of carbs caffeine may have that affect, but I am not sure.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I don't quite know if its true that you only burn fat when there is no glucose available. I actually doubt it, because I lost 20 LBS of fat in 6 weeks and I was eating complex carbs. If you have no glucose and you're burning fat, you're in ketosis, which is a unique situation. You do not have to reach ketosis in order to burn fat. You're body can burn fat simultaneously along with carbos.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Right now I weigh around 184, I'm 22 years old, and I'm 6 feet tall. I'm not sure what the ideal weight is but I figure I could just tell when the time comes. I have a horrible thing though that does my body a great injustice, I do not eat fruit. It's just something I never had a taste for. So that hurts the diet thing and my overall health.
You probably look a lot like a friend of mine, he is about 6' 184, while he isn't fat, he isn't muscular either. 184 is close enough to the right weight for being 6' I would think.

Sorry, but I can think of the amount of calories you need to lose some wieght and am too lazy to search for the formula right now.

IMO I think you should start lifting wieghts and do some cardio. I agree with Chris PC, workout 3 days a week and cardio for another 3 you should get good results. Very good results by next summer. If you did that and just cleaned up your diet somewhat you should see a difference and you would still be able to eat good tasting food.

If a gym membership is too much and you can't aford a personal home gym just do cardio 5 days a week for 30+ minutes and your target heart rate should be about 135(you can find out exact) beats per minute.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I actually doubt it, because I lost 20 LBS of fat in 6 weeks and I was eating complex carbs.
If there's glucose in your blood, your body will use that first. Then muscle, then fat. BUT, if you eat carbs and want to burn fat, then you'll have to do sufficient excercise so that you use up all your glucose. If you're eating enough protein and doing weight-bearing exercise, the fat will be burned. If you're sitting on your butt all day then the glucose in your blood will be suffient for your daily activities and you won't burn fat.

I don't doubt your 20 pounds of fat loss at all because that's completely doable. You just can't sit around watching TV and eating candybars and soda all day and expect it to happen.

I also just wanted to add that it 3500 calories to make a pound of fat. If you consume 3500 calories you don't burn, you'll gain 1 pound of fat. And likewise, if you burn 3500 calories you don't consume, you'll lose 1 pound of fat.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is I don't count calories, I just use my eyes and my stomach to judge what I need. One thing for sure, is that if you eat more than you need, you notice. Its hard when your activity varies. If you eat lots because you were cycling for a few hours that day, and then a couple days later you're weight training and eat alot thats ok. A few days go by and you're inactive and you keep eating alot and you notice. If you stay inactive and keep eating the weight comes back eventually. Your high metabolism lasts a while as long as you remain active and keep up the exercise.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Add some brown rice or maybe a baked potatoe(plain or put a little hot sauce on it), and some green beans or something similar. My breakfast(when on) is 5 egg whites, 1 egg, 1/4 cup plain oatmeal(with some syrup for taste), 1 piece of toast and a glass of milk. Your light meals(like brunch) I just eat a banana or a cup of yogurt

That's an interesting low carb diet. :D

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Finally someone brought up the whole concept of calories!!

Ask 100 people about a good weight loss plan, and you'll get 100 different answers. Let me simplify this whole thing:

Calories in > calories out = weight gain.
Calories in < calories out = weight loss.
Calories in = calories out = no change.

3500 calories is worth approx. 1 lb.

My advice is to forget about the low carb this, low carb that crap. Just use common sense and exercise. You MUST eat as soon as possible after a workout to restore what you consumed so your muscles can recover.

You will eventually get good at telling how much food to consume without counting calories.

Two things to buy: A heart rate monitor that counts calories and a body fat scale. Each can be had for around $100. If you can afford it, I recommend one of the polar heart rate monitors that allow you to download each workout. It will then display on a calender how many calories you burned each day and give you weekly totals. Perfect for motivation. For example, since April I have burned over 71,000 calories. But I run / bike more then the average joe.

Just do what works for you. Keep track of the calories you burn and your weight. Then you'll figure out for yourself what you need to eat. Trust me.

Edit - One thing I forgot to add: Drink A LOT of ice water! You should be going to the bathroom every couple hours. Drinking ice water also help burn calories since it takes calories to heat the water to your body temperature. 100 calories per glass I think.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Drinking ice water also help burn calories since it takes calories to heat the water to your body temperature. 100 calories per glass I think.

Then that means we can drink unlimited cold beer, as long as it has about 100 calories per glass. :frowning:

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well I finished that Ephidrine diet. I would say it was a success to a point all though the results could be little favoured by other things that changed in my life. A week after I started taking it I started gripping for a movie. After 5 weeks of that I lost 15 pounds. Might not sound like that great of a accomplishment but I also had some muscle growth as well. Now I figure I will quit the pill thing but someone has brought up another diet that is a a little more healthier. He mentioned to me flax seed oil or something. Anyone ever heard of this? What other types of things help along on this? I don't think Creatine is a diet thing is it? Once again I should state that if you could please mention everything. I would love to hear all types of things no matter what the cost to my body. This is just my way of thinking, I realize it's a very short termed mind set but that's my choice.
Thank you

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Michael Varacin, best advice in this thread so far.

Well I finished that Ephidrine diet.
Ephedrine's true effects will not begin until 2-4 weeks after you start taking it. It's actual mechanism is to block the fat from binding, and getting it back into the bloodstream to be burned (pp).

One interesting fact about ephedrine: There are several drug companies that have been working since the mid '80s to make a prescription drug that mimics the effects of ephedrine due to how well it works. They haven't been able to make one that is as effective yet.

Chris

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
WEll one reason I stopeed taking it was just a couple days after I bought it it was declared illegal to sell. I could still get it but I would like to try another route. Do you know much about Flax seed oil? OR something that works like it? Also, thank you for replying with such info, all of you. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks