Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Kosinski, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Jim Kosinski

Jim Kosinski Auditioning

Mar 30, 2002
    I know this question spans several of the forum's on the Home Theater site, but I need to get an overall opinion about an entire system and associated costs. Up until today, I was planning to start purchasing an entire HT setup from scratch. To soften the initial $ blow, I was going to reuse some existing speakers (center, right and left) and a 10-yr old Mitsubish 35" TV that is starting to have problems. I was going to concentrate about $2000 on a good 6.1ES receiver, good surround speakers, an new DVD player and a new VCR.

Well, my father-in-law threw me a curve. He has offered to sell me his entire HT setup for $2500. It includes the following:

36" Sony WEGA TV and stand

9 mo old

model KV36HS20

progressive scan

Sony 100W x 5 channel receiver

about 1.5 years old

model STR-DE845

dolby digital 5.1

JVC DVD player

about 1.5 years old

unknown model

progressive scan

Sony VCR

brand new

unknown model, but it cost about $200

Polk speakers (4 satellite and one center channel)

about 1.5 years old

model RM6600 surround sound system (RM2300 satellites, RM2600 center)

Radio Shack subwoofer

200 watts

Optimus Pro

He has offered to sell this stuff for $2500. He thinks it all cost approx $4000 new.

The room I am planning to use it in is approx 20' x 20'.

Is this a good deal? Are the Polk speakers any good? Is the receiver any good? Will I be itching to upgrade immediately? any comments will be greatly appreciated.
  2. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

Dec 3, 2000
    here is what i think about each component assuming you have a 2.5k budget for a ht system:

polk satalite: junk

radio shack sub: what do you think???

receiver: junk

jvc dvd player: more info is needed

sony vcr: top of the line sony vcr that is sold at stores like best buy and frys cost maybe $130

tv: if it's a 36" xbr then it's descent deal if you can get it for 1.5k used.
  3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

Mar 3, 2001
    the bulk of this price would be for the TV

i'd say that everything but the TV (the receiver, speakers, sub, dvd, vcr) is worth about $1000 used (that's the MOST i'd pay for it, anyway- $750-800 seems more fair to me). if that's really the model # of the TV, it retails about $2300. i'm not a fan (at all) of the trinitrons, tho. just too expensive. what you may consider doing is buying everything but the TV (for $1000 or less) and buying your TV separately (if he'll do that). that wouldn't be too bad an HT.

just be sure to listen to his gear so you know you like it before you buy anything.
  4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Feb 24, 2002
    Then again ... you could pay $2,500 for what he is offering and sell it over on E-Bay for $3,000 making a nice little profit.

The TV looks like it can be purchased new for about $1,900 (but you have to add about $200 in shipping fees).

I think you might be better off building your own system. It may take a little longer, but you'll get the equipment that YOU want. Buying this boatload of equipment will be fine for the first few months, then you'll be looking to upgrade to components which will set you back more money above and beyond the initial $2,500.