What's new

Is this a good deal? (1 Viewer)

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
http://savannah.craigslist.org/ele/3104155811.html
I was thinking about putting together a system for around $1500 total, but don't know exactly what I was wanting to get yet, then I ran across this on craigslist.
I listen to metal/rap often, and the system would be more for music than movies. Honestly I want a system that doesn't break the bank, has pretty good sound quality, ....and can cause tremors when I crank it up. Haha.
If you guys say this is a good deal then I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on this then buy a good sub/amp for it.
thanks,
Brett

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Same speakers new are $510 shipped.
CS1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290211 ($70)
M70's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290209 ($360)
OWM3's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290027 ($80)
Let him know the speakers new with warranty are about $500. Offer $625-$650.
If you decide to pass on the deal replace the CS1 with the CS2 and the OWM3's with M40's. It will cost more, but worth it in the long run. Pick up a BIC F12 sub http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=303-436 and any $450 receiver http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html. Monitor speakers and the F12 sub are a very popular setup on the cheap.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Hey thanks for the quick reply.
As far as receivers... would this be good to get?
http://savannah.craigslist.org/ele/3096135074.html
as far as a sub is concerned, I was thinking of doing this http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=37 then making a box for it.
That would put me at $650-700 then all I would need would be an amp for the sub and some good surrounds.
I have some Infinity SM 152 speakers. I don't know if those would be better for music than surrounds would be though.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
yeah makes me wish I had checked out craigslist earlier. Haven't gotten a reply from him/her yet though.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Though I'm in south america for a few more days so I'm having to text via a app on wifi, so he might just not have gotten it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are patient, CL is great. Since I'm near Chicago...it is a field day.
Not like this is AV related. But I bought an 18" Ryan Jr. sod cutter for $300 last week. Lady finished her garden and just wanted it out of her garage. She texted me three days later with "Did I ask enough money for it?"...
I sent her another $150 via Paypal. I still got it for a song.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Yeah I hear ya, I think I'll just buy the sub and a amp to run it (need to figure out which amp will be good) and then just wait for a good deal on surrounds and the receiver since I have the infinity towers and a older sony receiver.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That's what I love about CL. Sometimes people just don't know what they have. Just a few of my nice pick-up's (and what they sold for).
Integra 9.8 pre-pro - $400 ($850)
Infinity Beta 50's - $225/pr ($450)
Infinity Beta 20's - $110/pr
Infinty Beta 360 - $50
Infinity Beta 360 (Cherry) - $75 ($175)
Infinity 5.1 Primus Pak - $75 ($175)
Integra 8.9 avr $350
Integra 3.4 cd changer - $10
Integra 301 dvd changer $75
Integra 6.9 BluRay $75
(all four for $830)
But I never PayPal'ed anyone any extra funds. Now I feel like a heel :( ).....NOT! :D ...Well, maybe a little bit :( .

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Haha, I never have such luck when I look through CL.
Anyway, I believe this amp would be good for the 18" sub? http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EP2000-Professional-Accelerated-Technology/dp/B001W3BM24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343180847&sr=8-3&keywords=Behringer+EP-4000

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll leave the "Behringer worthiness" to others...as I've never used one.
I've made some ridonkulous scores over the years.
Onkyo TX SR707, with Ipod dock...both remotes, both manuals...and the original box...with EVERYTHING...$300 w/free shipping. I tool around Ebay/CL/AudiogoN quite often as I "need nothing"...except for what turns up that is "too good to pass up". This 707 was a Saturday evening auction. I was about to go to bed when I hit refresh again. Up pops this 707. The auction isn't even 20 minutes old. This is when the X09 models popped up new in stores. So this thing was barely over a year old...at most...right at 2 years old. I sat "stunned" and was like..."Really?"
Anyway, about 10 minutes later I went back...looked again...really is a $300 BIN w/free shipping. Bought it right then. It showed up Wednesday. I hooked it up...not a single scratch on it. They even took the batteries out of both remotes and put them in their own ziplock. I emailed to let them know I got it and would play with it a day or so before leaving feedback. I asked "Why did you sell it for $300?"
Email back..."We bought an NR509 and just wanted the cost of it back. Since it sold so quick I assume we could have asked for more?"...
I later sold the Ipod dock/remote(since we use a Belkin Bluetooth music receiver) for $60.
Other "scores"...
Dead JBL DPS12 at a garage sale for $5. About 20 minutes work later...and a mono amp I had laying around collecting dust...was pounding the floor with it.
NAD T"something" AVR missing the pre in-out jumpers. They "couldn't get it to work"...bought it for $10. I had no idea if it worked or not either, but I sure wasn't going to show the seller the "obvious problem". Currently use it in a bedroom. (this was CL)
DCM Sub710(I think). Missing the plate amp. Paid $1 at a "thrift" shop(DAV, Goodwill...I forget). Hooked up a mono amp when I got home...works like a charm.
Recoton turntable pre-amp. At Goodwill, new in the box...for $1. Ebayed it and got $25 for it.
Onkyo 6 disc changer. Free cause it "didn't work". The seller didn't know it had a volume control.(this was at a flea market, the DB was selling bootleg DVD/BD for $2 and $5, so I didn't feel bad)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've run a Behringer amp and EQ for years with no issue. I did have my first one burn up but that was my fault for trying to fix the noisy fan for $2 rather than replacing it with a quiet one for $10. The EP-4000 is just a little more than the 2000 so most opt for the larger of the two.
That eD driver has been used in a lot of DIY subs but the parameters aren't the same as what they publish. They're not bad but they're a poor predictor of the final product when modeling. Speaking of that, what are your plans for an enclosure?

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
I don't have any as of yet, to be honest I'll be moving to a new place within the year so I don't know the dimensions of the room that the system will be in, but seeing as how large my towers are, I can have the sub box be decent size as well, but since I've been wanting to get a stereo/HT up and running for awhile I figured I would just buy a few pieces at a time. My towers and my current receiver will suffice for the time being so I need a sub/amp the most as of right now, then probably surrounds for the theater aspect, and a new receiver once I buy the surrounds also.
I guess I would prefer to make a box with the law of diminishing returns in mind, meaning I want it to be whats best for music first then movies second, but only if it means that the box isn't insanely large. I would take a small hit on the quality if that meant the box could be that much smaller.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
well it appears that they've stopped selling the 4 voice coil 19Ov.2s so the sub is 650W RMS. I would think the 4000 would be overkill at that point? lol

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want it to be whats best for music first then movies second
I like my subs to be accurate. It doesn't know you are playing music or watching a movie. It coverts alternating current into physical motion.
well it appears that they've stopped selling the 4 voice coil 19Ov.2s so the sub is 650W RMS
Doesn't matter. You can get the dual 2 ohm sub and it will work fine. If you go with the EP-4000, you can power it with either one channel (about 600w into 4 ohms) or bridged (about 1,600w into 4 ohms) but you will have to be very careful with the bridged setup.
If you aren't in a hurry, Obsidian Audio has a great pre-order on their 18's but delivery is 4 months away. If you want to use multiple 15's, then the selection is much larger.
How much space are you willing to give up for a big sub? This is a 5 cubic foot enclosure - http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/tcsounds.html An 18 will need a sealed enclosure of that size minimum. If you want to go ported, it will need to be about 8 cubic feet or larger.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
That size box would probably work just fine. I think the one with the marble on it on the bottom of the page looks awesome.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The construction is the same. The marble is just glued on top.
I've seen a construction thread where a guy covered the entire sub in granite. By the time he had it custom cut (including the hole for the driver), he ended up spending about $10K on it.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
So is that how I should build the box?
I have a buddy that has a few sheets of 1/2" board

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends what that 1/2 board is.
These days, people making boxes for speakers prefer MDF...but it isn't like you can't use plywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks