IS this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kent Wo, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Kent Wo

Kent Wo Agent

I've been shopping around for a system and at one store I was offered this set up. My budget was acutally 2500, for a 32"Tv, 5.1 setup, receiver and DVD player. Here's what I was offered.

1. Toshiba 36HF72: 36"HD tv, without DVI support though.

2. Onkyo TXSR-600 receiver: 6.1 support. 80watt per channel.

3. Totem-Dreamcatcher: L,R,C and Surround only.

4. Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer: The totem one was a little small.

All of this for $3000. The problem is that is over my budget. But the key question is... Is this a steal? Should I get the system?
    Thanks

BTW: I haven't heard it yet, I'm going back to listen to it in a couple days.

2. Kent Wo

Kent Wo Agent

BTW: All items are brand new with warrenties.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would say the system is probably worth $3000 and it seems like a reasonable price, but it's not an AMAZING deal or a STEAL. If you like the components and are happy w/ their performance compared to other's you have auditioned then I'd say go for it. I've heard alot of good things about the Totem Dreamcatchers and adding another speaker for 6.1 on down the road wouldn't be a big deal. These speakers probably outclass the receiver driving them, but you would almost always rather have it this way as opposed to the other way around. Great speakers will usually sound good regardless of what's powering them (within reason) but a great receiver will never make crappy speakers sound great.

I also wouldn't overly worry about DVI on the TV at this point since all HD tuners out support component outputs.

Only problem I can see is the $3k doesn't include a DVD player which is on your list of wants. If you have a DVD player you can live w/ for awhile then go for it, but if you have none and purchasing this system would delay that, then there's really no point since you won't be getting the most out of the system w/out DVD.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Kent Wo

Kent Wo Agent

Anyone know how the B&W 600's stack up to the Totem Dreamcatchers? A guy was trying to get me to buy the 5.1 set for around 1400.

Thanks

5. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

I can't really reply about the speakers as I've not listened to either of them, but to find out if I've gotten a good deal I look to see what the MSRP of the units I'm buying and then check internet prices and compair this to what I'm being offered. Personally, I'm a big fan of buying equipment that has been discontinued, which has allowed me to buy a system IMO that sounds better than what I could have afforded with current components.

6. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

sorry double post.

7. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I wouldnt buy it at any price because it is not what I want, saying that a good deal has a lot to do with perception, if you like it and it serves your purpose and you have bargained for the best deal you can get then it is a good deal.
    Many on this forum avoid retail like the plague but there are times when you have to pay retail to get what you want. I have in the past payed more than retail because the item was what I wanted and there was no deal to be had. In my mind price is only one facter out of many that I consider before buying, I have seen too many people let their pride get in the way of their better judgement and buy something they can "steal" only to brag about their good deal when in reality they would be much happier with the retail version of what they wanted in the first place.
    I am not saying to blindly go about paying "bust out retail", always search for your best deal but never lose sight of what you are after and why you are after it.. . .

8. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Guy,

Personally I have seen all to much the other direction. People buying what is the latest and greatest so they can brag that they have it when something that was last years model would have severed them just as well and saved them a bundle. Which IMO, is really letting your pride get in the way of your better judgement. Good sound never goes out of style. I learned this when I had the computer bug and always had to have the fastest and the biggest. I laugh at myself for how much money I wasted. Should I have been willing to pay $2000 more for my reciever just to get 192/24 DACs when there isn't much of a use for them at the moment or to get DTS 96/24, which I don't listen to and then really get no improvement in sound quality. The only thing I'm buying is bragging rights and little else. Now if that new sound format is really important to me then by all means I buy it. And speakers, how much improvement has there really been over the last few years. Personally I try to temper my desire to be king of the hill with common sense. I can buy receiver X for $1000, which has all the new bells and whistles, but lower sound quality or I can spend that $1000 and get last years model which is considerably better sonically but doesn't have the lastest bells and whistles. My priority is sound quality esp when I don't feel I'm gaining much from the latest bells and whistles and I chose to swallow the pride of not having the latestest a greatest. But honestly this is just a difference in Philosophy and people need to decide whats right for them.