What's new

is this a good deal on EBay? TW40H80 for around a $1000? (1 Viewer)

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Toshiba TW40H80 16x9 set-
it is not HD or Progressive capable, and it's a year and a half old, but the guy appears to have taken good care of it and he's local.
I would RATHER have the newer 40H80 with better viewing modes and HD support, but the GF will not let me spend $1800 on a TV, and I couldn't really easily do that anyway.
At any rate, our current set is a (sigh) 20 inch samsung in the corner. I know the TW40H80 isn't feature laden, but as far as wanting to watch my DVDs in a window larger than 5 inches goes, I think this may be my best bet.
The auction ends tommorow, so timely advice would be much appreciated. thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Purchasing a used television is always risky--especially an RPTV.
I've seen last year's HD-capable 40H80 advertised for as low as $1,599. Tell your GF that it would be the last television you'll need to buy for years. Once she sees that picture, she'll become a believer.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Dude, I wouldn't go for it. I think One Call is selling the latest 40" HDTV capable one for $1400.
Maybe the dude took care of it, but I bet a good portion of his viewing was with the contrast on torch mode, and who knows how many hours he has on it. New product, warranty, HDTV for $400 more? I don't think you can pass on it.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
sigh. i think i'm convinced.
the nweer one at one call is $1494 ($1637 shipped)
i'll go home and recieve my lashing tonight.
and i'll prolly get my first ever negative feedback on ebay too
frown.gif

the bummer is it will take a few days to get the money wired from my credit line to my account, then i'll have to get a cashiers check to fed ex to onecall... add in 5-7 days shipping, we're at 3 weeks before I get a new set. crap.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
No credit card? That sucks. Perhaps you could take a copy of the ad from one call to a local store and have them match the price. That I what I had them do on my Panny 47". I also ended up getting it for one year no money down, no interest no payments. Your girl would love you if you could score that.
It's worth trying man.
Regarding Ebay, did you already win the bid or is there time left? Perhaps someone will outbid you and you won't get a bad rating.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
I was actaully able to go through the process of having my last bid legitimately removed, and the person below me was right behind me, so hopefully all is well with the guy.
I have a card, but there are issues with limits on some, daily limits on others...it's easier this way. I'm just nervous about availability- they have a couple dozen left, and the money will be in my account on wed, to be fed exed to them thursday. which would put delivery right around Nov 1.
i hope all this works out. my pathetic set needs to go.
If they run out, I'll have a budget of approx $1700 to work with locally, cash in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks