What's new

Is this a good amp for my DIY sub? (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

if your tempest is ported, then do not get it. there is no rumble filter to prevent your driver from unloading below tuning. Also, you may or may not need a low pass filter, and a variable phase.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
My Tempest is ported. My recevier has a low cut filter on the sub output. Will this do the job? Only 6 hours left!

KyleGS

Second Unit
I would suggest holding off. You can get a plate amp for ~$100 that will be more versitile. You will want a low pass ajustment, phase adjustment, level control, rumble filter, etc. Just my opinion...

A

Anthony_Gomez

Justin, a low pass (xo at something like 80hz or 100hz) is not the same as a rumble filter (i am assuming that is what your reciever has). A rumbel filter blocks really low frequencies (say below 18hz).

I'd say pass as well.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don't think I'd buy an old receiver off eBay to power a sub. As Kyle says, you're better off getting a plate amp that's designed for it. By the time you'd pay for shipping on the eBay receiver, you're most of the way there.

Although, I am using an old receiver myself (with an EBS Shiva), but simply because I already had it in the closet. It works fine for me.

BTW, I was also afraid of driver unloading, but it doesn't seem to be happening yet either with test tones or source material (Phantom Menace THX Intro). I'm not sure if I'm just not playing it loud enough or what, but it doesn't seem to happen at my normal listening volume.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Justin, the Tempest wired in series will produce a 16 ohm load and wired in parallel will produce a 4 ohm load. I'm sure you just did a typo though. :)
150 watts will get it moving pretty good but I'd suggest 250 for a bit more power reserves.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Typo? I have no idea what you are talking about;)
Wouldn't moving up to a 250 from a 150 only give me like 2-3dB more output? Is it worth it considering the price increase?

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know of a Canadian dealer than can get me a better amp at a similar price to a SUB100 at creativesound.ca?
I just sent my money order for the Tempest earlier today and I can use my minisystem to power it in the mean time. I will probably start building this weekend if I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks