What's new

Is this a good 6.1 home theater setup? (1 Viewer)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Definitely consider 6 S38 speakers instead of 5 plus a "center channel" speaker. No center channel speaker could possibly be as good a sonic match to the S38 as another S38. The S38's horizontal stature makes it an ideal candidate for use as center channel speaker. This should save you money as well, since the S38 is (I presume) only sold in pairs due to its L/R mirror-image design.

Richard Mass

Agent
I was planning on purchasing 6 S38s, but keeping one as a spare or for future 7.1 setup. You really think the S38 in better than the S center-channel speaker?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Looks like a nice setup, the subwoofer isn't the best but if you don't have the extra cash it isn't a bad choice for the price. IF you can spare a little extra money look at something more like a Polk, they still aren't that great but they deliver alot of bang for the buck and it's a little more defined I think.

Richard Mass

Agent
What percentage of total speaker package should be spent on subwoofer for 6.1 home theater?

30% on sub, 10% on center, 60% on the five others?

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
I would think that identical speakers all around are probably the way to go. Then use whatever money is left to buy the sub. Of course, that is with the understanding that you'll want to upgrade the sub at some point.

My philosophy for components that I know I'll upgrade is to get the least expensive one that I can live with during the interim. Then I don't lose as much when the inevitable upgrade comes around. The Sony sub that you chose will probably fit the bill. I have the AWM-40 in the travel system and it never fails to wake the neighbors.

My $.02

David

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I would say devote a certain amount of money to the sub. Just try to squueze a nice $300 sub into your budget and usually you'll be alright unless you get top-end floorstanding models which will pump out more than the sub can, although that shouldn't be a problem anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks