1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a dumb question ....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AngioDan, Apr 4, 2002.

1. AngioDan

AngioDan Extra

My receiver has 2 optical inputs, labeled as DVD and Audio 3. They are being used by my PS2 and XBox currently. I have just purchased the Panny rp56, so I'm short an optical input. I know they have some optical switchers available, ranging from $30 to $130, so I could go that route.

I do have an a coaxial input on my receiver open still, but it is also labeled as Audio 3. Soooo, my dumb question is, if I buy an optical to coaxial converter (which are cheaper), and plug that into the open coax input, would my receiver work using both of the connections for Audio 3? Obviously, I would only have one device on at the same time. Or would the receiver see it as a conflict.

BTW, my receiver is the Kenwood VR-507. Sorry if this question makes no sense or rambles on.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Angio, the VR-507 offers two coaxial inputs....one of them is the DVD/6 channel input from the remote (labeled DVD on the back of the receiver), the other is the Video 2 input from the remote (and labeled as such on the back of the receiver).
    Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you're not using the both of them right now. If that's the case, it would seem to me that an optical to coaxial converter will solve your problem.
    Vin

3. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

The only quirk is that the CD/DVD input (Optical) and DVD Input (Coaxial) are sharing the same video input. So if you have your PS2 in CD/DVD and your X-Box in Video 3, you can use your Panasonic RP56 in Video 2. Or you can use the DVD (Coaxial) port if you don't use the receiver to switch video.

4. AngioDan

AngioDan Extra

Vin, you are right, I checked it closer yesterday, and the coaxial outputs are DVD and Video 2, not 3. (Hard to read with all the cables coming out of there!) This gives me the option from going with a optical switch or a converter, however, I have regular analog audio going into Video 2 as well. This is how I currently have my hookups.

Satellite- Svideo, analog audio to Video 1

PSOne, DC, N64,Gamcube audio thru a switcher and then Svideo and analog audio to Video 2

PS2 optical to Video 3

XBox optical to DVD

VCR to the aux inputs in front of reciever.

I am not using the receiver for video switching between PS2

Gamecube or XBox-I'm using component cables and as you know this receiver doesn't have them.

So, I guess I'm still curious on whether you can utilize 2 different type inputs for the same source. I can go with the optical switch, which is easy enough, or do I use the converter and just plug into the video coax 2 and it wont't conflict with my RCA analog audio 2 inputs.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. As I said earlier, if anyone has different ideas on hookups for my setup, I'm all ears!

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. AngioDan

AngioDan Extra

Vin, I didn't realize that the DVD/6 chan was a separate input from the DVD/CD connection. That being the case, you are right, I can, and WILL use that DVD/6 chan coaxial for my Panny. Thanks so much. I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. Now off to buy a toslink to coax converter[​IMG]
    Dan[​IMG]

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

You're welcome.....good luck! [​IMG]
    Vin