What's new

Is this a bargain? Yamaha DV-C6480 DVD-Audio changer at Crutchfield for $400. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that Crutchfield has dropped the price on the Yamaha DV-C6480 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer from $600 to $400. It looks like a great deal. Aside from the fact that it is a changer, does progressive-scan, and handles DVD-Audio, Crutchfield says the 'C6480 employs Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing. Perhaps the bummer is the fact that it only has a 10/54 video DAC, as opposed to the 12/108 video DACs we are seeing in an increasing number of players these days (I realize that some believe that 12/108 means nothing).

Has anyone used the 'C6480? Is it a bargain at $400? I am not really in the market for a new DVD-Audio player, but I am curious. I assume the price drop is due to Yamaha discontinuing this model. I believe Yamaha either has released or will be releasing the DVD-C920 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer, possibly to replace the 'C6480. As of this writing, yamaha.com shows the 'CX1, 'C920, and 'C6480 changers as currently available. The web site says that both the 'C920 and 'C6480 retail for $600, so I would guess that the 'C6480 is being phased out.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I assume it's the same as the dvdc920 unit that a lot of retailers just dropped to $399....I like it and I may be buying one in a few days or so...will let you know...I don't know why this unit hasn't grabbed more attention, it almost seems to be the changer version of denon's dvd1600...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, are the 'C6480 and 'C920 the same player? They look the same from the descriptions on Yamaha's web site. I was not aware that the price had dropped on the 'C920. Perhaps the 'C920 is only available in brick-and-mortar stores and the 'C6480 is available from mail-order dealers. Hmmm....
In case you don't know, OneCall has it for $359.10. Check it out at www.onecall.com . I look forward to your review if you get one. Do you have a DVD-Audio player at present that you could compare to the 'C6480?

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I'm betting they're completely identical...I want the 2 year warranty.....I have the dvd3300 from Denon in my bedroon system...may switch that one to downstairs (where I only have SACD now) and use the Yammie upstairs with my RXV2200

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I am betting that you are correct. I just re-read the product descriptions for the two players on yamaha.com and they are identical except for one point. Note the following from yamaha.com:
DV-C6480 is also part of Yamaha's YHT-900 Home Theater in a Box Complete 6.1 Surround Sound System
Sony sometimes gives one of its DVD players a new model number for inclusion in a home-theater-in-a-box. I just don't know why the 'C6480 is available separately. Perhaps Yamaha ended up with excess inventory for some reason. Whatever. :)
If you do get the 'C6480, I would be very much interested in how it compares to your Denon '3300. I currently have the Technics DVD-A10, which Denon used as the basis for its '3300. From what I have read, Denon upgraded the audio section of the 'A10 in making the '3300, so if you find the 'C6480 to beat the '3300 convincingly, it should also beat my 'A10.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, just curious, but are you getting the 'C920 from a local dealer or by mail? I haven't seen it available by mail.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, oh. O.K. Very cool. Do you mind my asking where in the "mid-atlantic" you are located? I'm in Delaware.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Keith, I don't talk about where I work 'cause I think that it would taint my opinions , however it would be safe to say that I'm sure if you named a couple of places you shopped, I would know people there.....I've been in this (and related ) buisness for a while.........

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Keith, pm me with a list of where you shop and who there you deal with and I'll let you know if I know any of 'em......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks