What's new

Is this 32 inch sony worth fixing? (1 Viewer)

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Ok we have had this tv for around 5 years and it had worked perfect without 1 problem until yesterday. The tv picture yesterday went wacko. What happend is the picture from the bottom started to pull itself up utill around the top 40 percent of the screen. Try to picture a slinky opening and closing. And eventually the picture will suck up to the top more and more until the picture goes off. The picture also has horizontal white lines running through it.

If you let the tv sit for around 10 mins and turn it back on the picture will work for around 5 mins and then it goes crazy again. So I dont think its the tube. I'm wondering if its the tuner.

Anyone know whats wrong with it and how much something like this would cost to get fixed?

thanks bp

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I would guess bad solder connections in the vertical output circuit , not too serious as long as you get it fixed before anything actually shorts out. If you can haul the thing to a good shop it shouldn't be very expensive. Not too many servicers will do soldering in the home and pickup and delivery charges would far exceed the cost of repair. I am an authorized Sony servicer but Peoria might be a little far to drag the set.

Greg Hoffman

Auditioning
I had the same thing happen a few months ago with my KV32XBR45 [the last of the non-Wega XBR’s]. Indeed, soldering was required and cost about $150. Well worth it, the set still produces an awesome picture and the black levels are incredible.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed, unless your eyes are getting picky and you're wanting more clarity and definition, stick with your set.

Greg Hoffman

Auditioning
==================================================
Agreed, unless your eyes are getting picky and you're wanting more clarity and definition, stick with your set.
================================================== ====

Hmmm. Not sure what you meant there, Justin. I do know that the Sony KV32XBR45 is legendary as the last non-wega XBR CRT set and for having an outstanding picture. My repaired one still outperforms new 32" SD sets I see in A/V stores. And it is a bedroom set--there is big screen HD in the great room. The HD big screen is the set of choice, but DVD's do look awsome on the 32" STD Sony.[Black Tube]

Good luck on your DLP search...interested in that, too!

Users who are viewing this thread