What's new

Is They Live different from Image Release? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I did use the search and searching Software for the words "They" and "Live" returned over 2600 results.

Anyway, I already have the original Image release from way back when, and when the new Carpenter movies come out in October, will They Live be any different than the Image one? I am already happy with the soundtrack and transfer, but would like some supplements.

Again, sorry to have to start a new thread on this, but I just didnt see the answer.

-Mike

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
So far, no supplements beside a trailer have been announced.

Carpenter has recorded a commentary with Pipper, this DVD is only available in R2 at the moment.

More discussion in this thread

David Glenn

Second Unit
Same question:

Any differences in the new release? I already sold my original for a nice sum a while back but was wondering if the new release is any different.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
These items are different:

Menus & Scene Selections

These items were added:

Theatrical Trailer
Recommendations

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ok, the DVD was supposed to come out October 7th, then I read it was pushed up to September 23rd. Has anyone bought the new release yet?

I went to a local Best Buy and their computer still had the Oct. 7th date (and therefore didn't have it in stock.)

Kalle Karpaasi

Auditioning
I also can recommend the commentary on the R2 version. Usually Carpenter's commentaries tend to be a bit boring but I guess that mostly due to Rodney Pipers very enthusiastic participation this really is entertaining to listen to. The image is also very nice on the R2 version.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
I too have the R2, and it's great, but not without a flaw. The aspect ratio changes (slightly but noticeably) once the opening credits are over.

...that, and Roddy is clearly wacko. ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's out... I saw it at RECORD EXPLOSION on west 34th in manhattan which is also the 11th place I have looked for SCROOGE to no avail.... I'm waiting for some reviews as my R2 looks pretty decent, and has the INSANE commentary trk...

God, I hope it isn't all EE'd to death.....

:)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched the re-release last night. Little to no edge enhancement. Some shots, particularly near the beginning of the film, look a bit soft. Fairly good shadow detail. Not a bad transfer but not a great one either. In the audio department, a surprisingly good Dolby Surround track. The disc is completely bare bones with nothing but a "Recommended" menu showing static shots of two other Carpenter films on DVD. Too bad - I'd love to hear the R2 commentary track.

This is the first time I've seen They Live on DVD, so I can't compare it to the original R1 or R2 releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks