Is there value in ISF calibrartion of DLP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Wette, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

Since DLP is such a different technology than CRTs, is there much value in having it calibrated by an ISF technician, or are they pretty much dead-on to start with?

I know there's much benefit to this with CRT-based RPTVs, but how true is or isn't that for DLPs.

I have a Samsung HLM617W and SIT-TS160 tuner ordered from a local custom HT installer, and wonder whether it's worth the expense to have him calibrate the TV when he does the install.

Thanks for input (and sorry if this has been discussed - I didn't find anything in a quick search).

Dean

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Dean,

A DLP can most definately benefit from an ISF Calibration. There are parameters such as grayscale, gamma, brightness, contrast, color, tint, color decoder, some geometry, and focusing that can be corrected on these. This question comes up quite a bit. Even though the display does not have all of the same characteristics of a CRT there are still many that need to be set properly in order to attain an accurate picture. Excellent question [​IMG] .

Best of Luck,

David Abrams
    ISF Calibrationist

3. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response David.

So I have a second question then...

Should I have him calibrate at time of install, or is it better to wait, letting the TV settle in to the envirnment and break in a bit?

I'm pumped about this. :) I just got my Dolby/DTS sound system (sans sub) and am upgrading video from an aging Marantz 55" 4:3

Dean

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The bulb usually requires a bit of break in time. 50 to 100 hours.

Regards

5. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Dean,
    Make sure that your calibrator has the proper analyzer for the light spectrum that DLP emits, unless he is doing it by eye with an Optical Comparator.