1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there such thing as a dumb question? How do you STUFF a subwoofer???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Sharp, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Someone asked me for help on this, and I honestly don't know (never had to do it). I tried the search thread, but all I got were folks mentioning it offhandedly, like any idiot would know how.
    OK, so I'm not any idiot... Help!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Kevin you might get more help in the DIY area but basically there are several materials that people use to stuff subs. these range from good old fiberglass to real lambs wool. A lot of people also use the white polyester stuff that you find in pillows etc.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

3. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello,
    The only subwoofer stuffing I ever did was back in my car audio days but I image the principals are still the same. In car audio you would partially fill the sub box with a material like polyfill to create the illusion of a larger space...and in my opinion, greatly improve the sound.
    Different speakers require different box configurations and various amounts of fill. You can pickup polyfill at almost any fabric store and your speaker manufacturer should be able to tell you how much to fill it. If I remember correctly, most speakers called for loosely filling about 60% - 80% of the box.
    Hope this helps,
    Jeff
    ------------------
    My Homepage