Is there such a thing as gaming snobbery?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I've always wondered about that. It's obvious in the film world you have your movie snobs who refuse to see anything made by Hollywood and will only watch French/foreign films. Film critics speak in a language only a few will understand and in terms nobody in the general public cares about. Last I checked I still don't listen to Roger Ebert in his film analysis (or Roeper for that matter).

But I feel that isn't so with videogame entertainment. Most people enjoy almost every game, and people can rely upon videogame reviewers for sound advice on purchases.

Your thoughts?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I admit to being a snob. If it has Electronic Arts on it I pretty much avoid it like the plague, but if it says Capcom or SNK on it, I buy it...sure its the same fighter they were making 8 years ago, but its who is making it! And just look at my last two game additions, both SEGA games.

And for me on the PC side I worship at the gates of id. Epic can take there Unreal engine and games and stick it where the sun don't shine, because I am not buying it.

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

For proof of Brian's statement, just go to any PC gamers forum and mention that you like any of the following jillion-selling titles:
    Rollercoaster Tycoon
    The Sims
    Myst
    On second thought, don't. You may not survive the experience. [​IMG]

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Go join a game of CounterStrike, then innocently ask if anybody wants to join you for a few rounds of Unreal Tournament. Or Tribes 2.

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

LOL!

10. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Counter-Strike has the snobbiest players of any multiplayer internet game ever. I hadn't played the game for about 2 years and one day I deceided to play it again for the heck of it. It will be the last time. The game is full of cheaters and they extremely rude. They act like they rule the world. But, I'm sure it's just a bunch of teenagers playing and, well, thats they way a lot of them are. No offence intended to the teenagers on this board, I myself was the same way. [​IMG]

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Is it snobbery to say 'Army Men'? Or is that just good sense?

Yes, there is a whole ton of snobbery in the area of games - usually in the form of platform zealotry, but in other ways as well. God forbid anyone be considered insufficiently 'hardcore' on half the net's forums.

12. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

[​IMG] Funny thread. 'Uncommonly discerning!' [​IMG] I'm gonna use that one! [​IMG]

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

How in the hell could you guys NOT like Army Men? Come on, what other game series are you gauranteed to get atleast 5 sequels a year? I know as soon as I get tired of one Army Men game, Trip with his team of wonderkind at 3DO will have another Army Men adventure ready on the self for me to buy. Army Men are my Super Mario, my Metroid, my Zelda.

14. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

heh.

Unfortunately, Trip and co. could churn out new Army Men games at one a week (sometimes it seems like they do!) and it wouldn't be enough to maintain interest...

15. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i am a snob.

i go to metacritics.com to see reviews about a game that i am interested with. i would only buy a game that has the following criteria :

if the 5 bottom / lowest score has at least a 85 and higher, i would buy the game.

i always prefer to trust a review with lower score to glowing reviews.

16. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I'm a snob as well. [​IMG]
    I hate any games that are cutesy, fuzzy and warm, and especially if it says Nintendo. [​IMG]
    Almost forgot, I hate almost EVERY fighting game that's come along. Fight after fight, same old shit...*yawn*

17. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

The true test of a snob is not how refined your taste in gaming is, it's whether or not you deride others for their tastes.
    Examples:
    "I don't really care for fighting games, they actually bore the hell out of me." not a snob
    "Anyone who buys a wrestling game is a knuckle-dragging, cheat-beating, cave-dwelling troglodyte." snob
    "I love my Xbox!" not a snob
    "You bought a Gamecube? What are you, 12?" SNOB!
    "I just can't get into the Tony Hawk series" not a snob, but possibly not human, either...
    "Jet Set Radio Future is a freaking cartoon, man. What are you, 12?" snob, and most assuredly not human
    Me? Oh, I'm a snob. [​IMG]

18. Romier S

Romier S Producer

19. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Snobs are pretty much different types of fanboys. Some are intelligent, some are not, some are informed, some are not, etc.