Is there such a thing as an 'A-B' speaker switch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Patentcad, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Peter Patentcad

My Denon 4802 allows me to assign a set of speakers in another zone via the surround 'B' speaker terminals - but I have them tied up in a 7-speaker setup in our family room. If I could wire the surround speakers AND a pair of living room (2nd zone) speakers to a switch box and wire that box to the one set of speaker terminals, I could switch back and forth between the surround 'B' speakers in my family room and the 2nd zone speakers in my living room. I could then adjust the receiver setup whenever I want to pipe music into the living room. A pain to be sure, but the only other solution is to run patch cables from the multi-zone preamp outputs to another receiver or amplifier in the living room (which is probably what I'll wind up doing). Does anybody know if a box that allows you to wire two seperate sets of speakers to one set of speaker terminals and select which set of speakers receives the output signal from the receiver exists?

2. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Niles DPS-1 amplifier / speaker selector switch

The DPS-1 enables you to select the output of either of two amplified audio sources such as a hi-fi receiver or a component television. The selected source can then be listened to on a common (shared) set of speakers.

Conversely, the output of a single amplifier can be listened to on either of two pairs of speakers.

*Power handling: 350 watts per channel
    *Connectors accommodate up to 14 gauge wire
    *Table-top unit
    *Dimensions: 10-1/8" wide x 2-1/2" high x 5-7/16" deep
    Approximate shipping weight: 3 lbs.

You can find it on the web for about $60

3. Jeff_Galvin

Jeff_Galvin Auditioning

I found a pushbutton switch box designed to fit into a standard house wiring box (like a lightswitch or wall plug box). My local "home theater installer for rich people" had them. Not a normal for sale item, but they let me have one for $35. I don't remember the brand - it came in a plain brown box