1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there such a thing as a S-Video splitter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roberto Carlo, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I want to split the S-Video feed coming out of my digital cable box. Thank you.

2. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

radio shack has an amplified 4-way distributor for 40 bucks

works for me

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Just pickup an AV switchbox that has S-video inputs. You can get one almost anywhere for under 30 bucks.

4. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

did the switcher degrade the signal?

Maybe Roberto was looking for an actually splitter like a Y connection rather than a switcher. The answer is yes. Would someone comment on it if you've purchased one? Price, quality of splitted signal?

5. Roberto Carlo

6. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Roberto,

I have Direct TV and a 43in RPTV and it does make a difference with S-Video connection with my setup. I can't comment on cable box because I never own one. In general, if you have a choice between running a S-video versus a composite, go with the S-video.

I know why I want a switcher/splitter because I want to run one line to my SVHS and another to the TV. Why, may I ask, you want to use a switcher?

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Roberto,

As to using s-vid or composite out of a cable receiver I prefer composite. my comb filter in the mitsubishi is far superior to the one in the cable box.

Using s-vid on MY cable box shows serious dot crawl. Colors are better for sure, but I can't live with the crawl.

My box is some kind of motorola. YMMV.

Rather unusual really becaus s-video is always preferred and a good jump in quality. Just not in my case for cable.

8. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm using an S-Video switcher(I believe it's an RCA brand that I got at Target or Walmart) for my game systems. My TV only has one S-Video input and I use the switchbox to share the input between my PS2, Gamecube, and occasionally when my brother brings his XBox over. I can't notice any signal degradation at all. Great picture and it leaves my component input free for my DVD player.

9. Roberto Carlo