Is there such a cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by PaulP, Jun 8, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I need to know what to look for, when I go to Circuit City et al. What I need is to connect my VCR to my capture card. Now, the card has a regular video input but only one audio input. The cable I was provided with has a video jack and a stereo jack on one end, and on the other it has standard 3 RCA jacks. The problem though is that the VCR I have also has just a video and an audio out, no stereo. So I'm looking for a cable that has stereo jacks on each end. Am I making sense? Sorry, I'm not too well-versed in a/v cables.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

4. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

you won't be able to capture a stereo signal from your vcr if is a mono ouput. you can go to radio shack and buy a mono splitter cable- one rca male plug on one end and two rca female plugs on the other. that way you can connect your supplied cable into the splitter into the vcr. again, it won't be a stereo signal. the other choice is use a standard rca cable and buy an adaptor that converts rca to 1/8 inch jack.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I don't think it's a mono output VCR. If I plug in either the left or the right RCA plug, I get sound from either the right or the left. So it's a stereo signal. I think. Or am I wrong?

6. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

paul, i'm confused. you just said in your previous post that your vcr does not have a L/R audio out. why don't you post a picture of the cable. the easiest thing might be to just take your vcr, pc card, and cable to radio shack. they have a million different connectors and adaptors.

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

8. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

First off your VCR is mono. It has one output. That is the definition of mono. You can split it and get a left and right signal but it is not true stereo. You will not get distinct signals going to each speaker. They will both be identical.

From what I can tell we are your card had two RCA jacks right? So the cable you have would just be summing a stereo signal to mono anyway. Just use the cable you have and do not connect one of the audio connection to you VCR.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

10. Steve Sm.

Steve Sm. Auditioning

Most audio recording software should have an option to record in mono; if you can find an option for that you won't have to buy anything. Otherwise you need to buy an audio Y-adaptor, 1 male to 2 female to get the mono sound from the VCR to play on both channels, or a new VCR if you want stereo.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is no such thing. You really want "dual mono."

The deal is this:

Your capture card has a small jack- like a headphone right? THis is a 1/8th inch connector. This plug, although being a "single" hole, actually has 2 conductors for left and right inside. The jack is stereo- this is why when you hook up the cable you were given you can connect either the left or the right and it comes out of the either left or right speakers.

If you look closely at the little jack the plugs into the hole you'll see it has a connector divided into 3 parts: a tip, a ring and a sleeve. These 3 areas allow it to carry left/right audio with a ground.

If you plug this into your computer- and touch your finger against one of the RCA plugs, you will hear one of the 2 speakers buzz- and if you touch the other one- the other one will buzz. This does not mean your fingers are stereo- it just shows you how the cable works.

Similarly- you could hook your VCR audio up to one plug and get left, and then plug it into the other and get right. Either way, the source from the VCR is mono, you are just fooling with where it gets sent.

If you wanted to, you could plug the left one into your VCR and the right one into your CD player-- the left speaker would play the VCR audio, the right would play CD. This doesnt make the CD/VCR stereo- it just means you hooked up stuff it got sent to left/right accordingly.

Your VCR is mono. Say it with me: MONO. [​IMG]

THe VCR takes the L+R right tracks, mashes them into one signal and passes it out that hole. Now your best bet would be to find a stero VCR. if you refuse to do that- you have three options:

One: buy a dual female to single male RCA adapter. This would go onto the end of your existing cable, plugging into the two RCA ends and making it single. This will send the same mono signal from you VCR to both l/r-- this doesn not make "stereo" rather dual mono-- but will get signal to both channels.

THis cable is available from Radio shack, any one of these would work:
    #: 274-881
    #: 274-303

Two: Get a mono adapter for the end of your 1/8th plug. This will convert the signal to mono as it is going into the PC.

Available from radio shack:
    #: 274-368
    #: 274-882

Three: Buy a new cable that is a single or double mono RCA male to mono 1/8th inch plug. This will sum the mono signal in the jack that goes into the PC, and again you will get the single mono channel from the VCR to go to both speakers.

Again radio shack:
    42-2461
    42-2444
    42-2542 (this gives 2 jacks, but is mono, so even if you plug into one you will get sound from both speakers)
    42-2540 (this gives 2 jacks, but is mono, so even if you plug into one you will get sound from both speakers)

etc, etc, etc

-V