Is there still any demand for Star Wars on LD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tim Hoover, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I have both the Special Edition trilogy boxset and all three "faces" releases on LD. Is there still any demand for these on the used market? If so, what would be a fair asking price?

Thanks in advance...

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    They're worthless. No interest whatsoever. You should send them to me, I'll properly dispose of them. Heck, I'll even pay the postage. Send me a PM. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

3. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

Last May, I spent around 80 bucks for the Faces set on eBay. Admittedly, this was right around the time Episode III was coming out and demand was probably peaking, but judging by the competitiveness of the auctions, I'd say there's still demand out there.

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

If you're selling, PM me.

I don't have any interest in the Lucas re-edits.

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Demand for Star Wars LaserDiscs, once quite high, has subsided since the DVD releases. In particular, the Special Edition LDs are not worth much to anybody.
    The original, un-re-edited versions still enjoy some demand. The THX versions -- the "Definitive Collection" box and the individual "Faces" CLV releases -- are most wanted; with the box, there are problems with rot and with some pressings missing footage, which tends to make the "Faces" editions preferred. I bought the CBS-FOX widescreen editions for a pittance last year. I think I spent $20 for the 3 movies.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

I have the Collection Box and have watched all three movies recently and fortunately, no rot. When I bought this set originally, there was footage missing on one of the disc sides, however, CBS Fox was issuing replacements for these discs at the time so I was able to rectify the situation.

The box set has interspersed commentary throughout all three movies and comes with trailers and a very nice hardcover book.

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I have the "Faces" discs. But I ain't selling them! [​IMG]

Honestly, if Lucas simply concentrated on cleaning up the mattes and upgraded the sound to today's standard (preferably without adding anything new), those old Laserdisc editions would have dissapeared a long time ago.

We hear a lot of talk about protecting old movies from the ravages of time. But has there ever been an organization set up to protect old movies from the original filmmakers themselves? Blade Runner is another movie that needs to be "saved" from its creators.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Gary and I have the same set. Mine isn't going anywhere. OTOH it's quite informative to know that the original movies still have a fairly nice demand on them.

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I will keep my Definitive Collection as an unmodified reference, and both the Definitive and Special Edition for the extras (I'm not certain, but I don't believe the extras were included on the dvds) but I'll only watch the dvd versions. The dvd PQ advantage is too great.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I totally agree; the DVDs look amazing.

12. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I still have the Definitive Collection and SE's from 1997. Those will NEVER be sold...same for the Episode I Japan import LD. The audio blows the living hell out of the dvd. :b

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Agreed. It isn't even close. When people complain about hot mixes, I point this one out.

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Nice try, Joe [​IMG]

Thanks for all the responses, guys. It looks like I'll be parting company with my "faces" set, as I'd honestly prefer to watch the DVDs, even though they're not the original versions. If there's not much demand for the SE trilogy boxset, I might as well hold on to it, as it is a pretty nice collectible.

I'd also like to add that it sucks being unemployed and jobless. A man shouldn't have to choose between his bills and his Star Wars [​IMG]

15. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I don't consider Episode I to be a hot mix. I consider it to be representative of the theatrical mix whereas the DVD was made with home theater in mind. The Episode I AC-3 is extremely representative of the power house mix I heard theatrically. The DVD doesn't compare.

And the DVD's do look awesome, but there are so many errors in them with color, missing music cues, messed up sound on a new hope, messed up lightsabers, etc, the laserdiscs are still preferable to me.

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Yeah, I don't mean to de-rail this thread but I actually prefer the image of the Ep. I laserdisc to the dvd. I really do...even with my modest Pioneer LD player. Even using the dreaded composite input to the projector. The green color just seems more green and natural as do the skin tones...It's a noisier picture overall but one I can live with.

I love dvd but there are still some LDs that are simply better than their dvd counterpart. Episode I, Mission Impossible are just a few. I'm sure Shane and Greg_T could fill up a list quickly with other titles.

It's also just kind of cool and I guess nerdy too to keep the Star Wars LDs if for no other reason-for the nostalgia factor.

It's a great conversation for those who enter Club Timobi Wan to see a movie and have never heard or seen a laserdisc. They then get the REAL story. [​IMG]

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Heat is one that is completely better than the DVD sound wise. I also cherish my Saving Private Ryan LD. While it is only DD, It smokes the DD dvd. It is really close to the DTS DVD. I didn't buy it for a while until I saw the DTS DVD for $7 used and snapped it up.
    Ditto. The EE on the DVD is really an issue. I'll take the LD picture over the EE ladened one on the DVD.

18. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I also have Saving Private Ryan on AC-3 laserdisc and on DTS DVD and I find the laserdisc better than the DTS DVD. It is an awesome surround experience.

19. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Interesting. I was just watching parts of my ESB THX LD earlier today. Also watched a little of Blade Runner (Criterion theatrical cut). I've had an LD player for several years now, but I never actually hooked it up to my HDTV that I got a couple years ago. It looked pretty good; the superior 3D comb filter in my TV did a good job with the composite signal, though there was some noise in the picture. They sounded great, of course. I ran the two analog channels through my receiver and applied Pro-Logic II... Honestly, I didn't miss the 5.1 DD tracks at all. You can get used to the picture, but the most important part is that I can watch the original theatrical cuts. That's more important than A/V quality to me.

20. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

A good laserdisc player can make the THX laserdiscs look quite good. I use a top of the line Pioneer HLD-X9 and run it through an Iscan HD+ scaler and they actually look very good, very close to good non-anamphoric DVD, no where close to the DVD quality, but at least they are the originals and don't have all the issues the DVD's have. The PCM soundtracks are very good and sound great via Prologic II.

You can only get so good with the THX lasers due to the quality of the transfers, but a good player can get the most out of them. I have both the THX Faces versions and the Definitive Collection CAV box set and I found the Definitive set to have a better transfer than the Faces, even though they are supposed to be the same transfer. I find the definitive set to have less noise, more detail, and better color. They just seem to look a little richer and vibrant than the Faces set.