What's new

Is there still an Amazon BOGO Blu-ray sale going on? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Someone mentioned that the BOGO Blu-ray Amazon list has been expanded, but I can't seem to find a link to any BOGO sale over there on Amazon. Is the promotion still going on?

(Yes, I already know about the BOGO HD-DVD sale and have taken advantage of it).

Thanks for any link that can be provided to a BOGO Blu-ray Amazon sale.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
No, it seems to have ended at around 10:00 p.m. my time last night. (People at AVS were working on orders and then got the message the promo was over.)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks for that information, Elizabeth. I'm getting reports from the field of people who were in mid-order last night on Amazon when they pulled the BOGO Blu-ray plug. Now it appears to be BOGO HD-DVD for the time being. Luckily, I've been able to take advantage of the BOGO offers from both camps.

I know that a lot of people say that the "format wars" aren't good for the consumer but I don't think that those of us who have embraced both formats really have any complaints at this point. Price wars for players, price wars for media (~$8 or so for an HD or BR disc is amazing at this point in the technology), etc. What's not to like about that?

Having lived through the LD days (and $125 Criterion boxed sets for single "special" titles) this is refreshing by comparison.

Bring on more BOGOs!

;)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I guess it's wise to order early since you never know when promotions will end abruptly at Amazon. I was mulling over that Blu-Ray BOGO (even though I don't even have a player yet!), so I guess the end saved me from myself for now!

I did get a couple of orders in this morning for the HD BOGO.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
All of these cheap disc offers remind me of the early days of DVD when, with the right coupon configuration, you could get Criterion releases for ~$10.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

And let's not forget last year's Google Checkout at several sites where you could get $10 off $30 of anything and $20 off $50 of anything (like at Buy.com) with no limit on the number of times you could apply this offer. That was last years "BOGO" it seems.

;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I didn't buy as much this holiday season, already built up the HDM collection from last season via GCO.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
In case anyone is interested, there is a Blu-Ray sale on at J&R. which effectively works out equivalent to an Amazon BOGO deal with prices of titles either being $9.99 or $13.99 with a requirement to buy atleast 2. The advantage I suppose is that you can buy an odd number of titles unlike the Amazon BOGO deal. Also one does not have to make multiple purchases for different priced titles like one does with the Amazon BOGO deal. The tiles are limited to Sony titles but there are two pages with 77 titles. If interested please hurry since the deal ends today, I think.

Page 1 --> http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...romos/Movie03/

Page 2 --> http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...romos/Movie04/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

-The fact that only enthusiasts are buying and friends and family are scared of investing in one side that will be potentially dead within a year
-The fact that studios are VERY reluctant about putting their crown jewels on either format
-The fact that despite how cheap they are, half of our collections are rebuys from DVD already and might eventually be triple dipped when they are re-released on the winning side if currently only available on the losing side.

But yeah, I loves me some BOGO.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I went crazy with the Google Checkout promotion last year but only for SACD and DVD-A, I was undecided on whether to purchase Blu-ray or HD DVD software and wasn't really sure I would purchase either at that time. Now I purchase Blu-ray new although I own both new formats.

Chris

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well Sam, having lived through the Beta/VHS wars and the high price of LDs when it was the only quality video game in town I'll still take a format war and exceptionally low prices over a single format that will milk every last drop out of the consumer. I can understand your position regarding a bit of reluctance on some studios to jump in fully until this is all decided but I'm not concerned in the least about waking up one morning and finding that my Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs are suddenly not usable. After all, I'm still spinning vinyl a half-century later.

Seriously, my only point was to observe that while there are some downsides to a format war, there are also a lot of ancillary benefits for the bleeding edgers.

Two words:

EMA and BOGO.

:laugh: :laugh:

Have a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks