Is there something wrong with Xfiles pricing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Feb 20, 2002.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

I REALLLLLLY love this show...and i would love to be able to watch these shows at anytime of the day..but the sets are over $100![​IMG] I have not any of them yet, but seeing five is coming soon and now looks like my bill is going to be $500 plus uncle sam's payment. I look at other box sets and see MASH and Buffy for like $30. What gives? I mean $500 is lots of dough, and I rather upgrade my a/v reciever (which I paid $400 for in 1999 - I had to have DTS) for 2002 technology for $500 or put it towards my 16x9 HDTV. Anyone know why X files boxsets are so darn expensive?
    PS. - I love Scully:b

2. Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz Stunt Coordinator

It`s like $4 or $5 a episode not to out of hand. Take a look at the pricing for the japan laserdiscs. You`ll thenk the dvds are a steal.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Shop around. You can get them for less than $100 a set.

M.

4. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Well up here in New Hampshire all DVD are tax free [​IMG] Besides Best Buy and Circuit City ususlly have them for about $89. Also look at the number of episodes you get - like 24 per set.

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Just search for deals. Ive paid around $75 for each set. Just yesterday i believe NOrth American DVD had the set half price or so. Just keep looking

capt

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Also, remember that with the "M*A*S*H" & "Buffy" sets you're looking at 3-disc sets with less material (the former has half-hour episodes, the latter is only a 12-episode season) than the 6 or 7-disc "X-Files" sets. So the discrepancy is not as great as it might first seem.

7. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

sae em yesterday at local store for $75

8. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

Todd,
    What state are you in...geographically, I mean. [​IMG]
    Thos.

9. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

The Total Action Universe website has them for a little over $80.

10. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Costco and Walmart typically have them for between $89 and $99. I picked up Season 3 used at The Wherehouse for $75.

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Typically the Canadian etailers have had the best prices on this set, like North American Video and Direct Video. I'd try them.

12. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Darryl,
    I've always considered X-Files Seasons 1 to 4 to be my most worthwhile DVD purchases. I can't get enough of this show. It's totally worth the money.
    And even if you did pay $100 per set (you can find it for quite a bit lower with some looking around) you would only be paying $4 per episode. That's a steal if you ask me. [​IMG] These aren't the type of thing I will watch once then put down. In the future I can see myself running through the seasons in order every year, watching a few episodes per week! I looooooove this show.
    And I concur with your opinion on Ms. Scully [​IMG]

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

$100 for 7 discs and ~20 episodes is quite a bargain IMO. I love the show (up until the 7th season at least) and look forward to many happy years of re-watching the episodes.
    P.S. I love Mulder [​IMG]

14. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Daryl- Go ahead and find the first season for cheap online, and pick it up. See if you like them in that format, etc. I would almost guarantee that you will be unable to control yourself and will rush to buy the other seasons, I know I was.

Its really hard to describe (I never was even that big of a fan, I bought them for my wife) but once you have the whole season on DVD, you are possessed to watch them all. It's like crack.

15. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I found vols. 1-4 used locally here in L.A. pretty cheaply. My only real beef is that Season 5 is significantly shorter than the other four seasons (by 4 episodes) and is only a 6-disc set-- and is still $150, the same as the other 7-disc sets.

16. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Personal opinion: The X-Files Season sets are some of my most treasured purchases among my collection. Not only am I continually impressed with the quality of the series so far, but the DVD set is also fairly impressive with a smattering of deleted scenes and commentaries as well as a whole disc per season of extras. The quality of the sound and video is also impressive.
    BTW, don't forget our own Software Sale/Trade Forum for deals. There are several recent threads that have them:
    Don't know if it's still available, but it's worth an e-mail.

17. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

18. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

thx for the feedback guys...i have been holding out and don't think I can wait any longer...
    ..oops what was that in my bank account?...
    Uncle Sam's overpaid money?....
    hmmm...
    [​IMG]

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, I ordered my season 4 from North American, and while the service wasn't exactly bowl-you-over-speedy, it didn't take forever either, and it arrived safe & sound and without customs hassles. Unless you've GOTTA HAVE IT RIGHT NOW I'd say they're worth a try.

20. Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt Agent

I've had consistently good success by ordering my X-files sets from http://www.directvideo.com i believe that is the URL... and they DID have all the sets on sale for 77.97 plus shipping, actually i think they still do.
    I just pre-ordered season no. 5.