Is there some kind of garage "dumb waiter"?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have a 3 car garage... with a pretty high ceiling.. 10-12 ft or so. On top of that I have a "storage truss system" which means I have a loft area up there to store stuff.

But, because of the height.. I really can't get large items up there easily. Right now there's Christmas decorations and scrap wood just strewn up there because I have so much space, there's no sense in organizing it.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to move my lawnmower, snowblower, and patio furniture up there.... safely, mind you. [​IMG]

Has anyone seen anything like this?

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

First off, I'm incredibly jealous of the size of your garage. Second, here is some info I found on home dumbwaiters,attic hoists, and winches:

http://doityourself.com/kitchen/dumbwaiters.htm
    http://www.littlehercules.com/specs.html
    http://www.spaceliftproducts.com/pro...celift6000.php

It seems to me that if you have other joists above the trusses, you could probably just use a simple block/tackle setup to get items like the lawnmower/snowblower up and down, maybe even get a metal fabricator to build you a simple cage to load and unload. You'll just need something to tie/cleat off the line when its at the top so you can go up and unload. Once you're up there, you could set up something with pins/clips so that the "elevator" was secured other than by the pulleys, and store the thing in that position. Make sense? Of course you could add an electric winch if you wanted, but a 4:1 block & tackle should provide enough mechanical advantage for you to haul that stuff you mentioned up there with ease.

Unless of course you have a riding lawn mower [​IMG].

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

is your "loft" area on top of ceiling joists of the 2 by 6 or 2 by 8 variety or on top of the bottom tension leg of a 2 by 4 roof truss (big triangle of 2 by 4's with diagnal boards between the pointed top and flat bottom all made of 2 by 4's)

if it is a truss, you do not want to put heavy objects up there, it is not designed to hold heavy things, lightwieght stuff is OK but anything more than about 150 pounds is pushing it

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You can always practice a Z-pulley which is only a 3:1 advantage but if you combine that with a C-pulley, you can make a 6:1 mechanical advantage system. [​IMG]

Seriously:
    A simply Block and Tackle hoist would work, unless you have some money and feel like investing in one of those car lift things you see at some parking garages.

Jay

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use a winch and pulley to get my snowblower out of the way in the summertime. My old snowblower was light enough for me to lift onto hooks on my wall, but the new one is too heavy. The winch allows me to crank it up and drop it on the hooks. I bought the stuff at the local hardware store.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I don't think I need that much leverage... 2:1 would be fine just enough so I don't pull myself up to the ceiling. [​IMG]

That Spacelift6000 looks pretty kick ass, BTW. Does the brunette come with it? [​IMG]

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Or even local hardware store if you don't want to drive all the way to HD. If you're worried about truss loading, you can always put a few boards down below the mower, as that will spread out the load, right?

I agree on the Spacelift...especially for people with lots of attic space but not a lot of closet space, it would be worth it.