Is there or was there ever a widescreen NTSC TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I mean, are there any widescreen TV's, even HDTV ones, that will output an interlaced NTSC in 16:9?? I mean, my dvd player can output that, but what in the heck would I use as a display? Don't tell me interlaced DVD player output in 16:9 was only ever meant to be [crappily] line-doubled?

2. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Before HDTV, 2 companies put out NTSC 16:9 RPTV models:

Toshiba and Pioneer. I had the 57" Pioneer. Anamorphic DVD's looked great.

Rich B.

3. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I seem to remember RCA Proscan had some widescreen direct view sets about 10 or so years ago.

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Yeah, RCA and ProScan had a 38" (maybe it was 34") widescreen set back in the mid 90's. It was a neat TV for it's time but they had lots of problems and weighed a ton.

Jeff

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I've read that this RCA/Proscan model (there was actually one TV each from each Thompson member company) actually has anamorphic progressive capability. It can do NTSC yes, but also can do anamorphic progressive DVD natively.

6. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Also, there are some 1.33 NTSC sets that can reset the raster scan to a 1.78 aspect ratio (usually called something like "squash" or "vertical squeeze"). This has been a feature on professional monitors for years, and has finally started to appear on the consumer market. Your resolution is ultimately limited by the shadow mask and pixel structure, but the scan lines are much closer together, giving you a perceptually more seamless picture.

-Christian

7. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Chris, I have one of those NTSC widescreen TV's. I bought a Toshiba TW56F80 back in 1997, it's a 57" widescreen TV and anamorphic DVD looks excellent. Regular NTSC TV looks good as well but doesn't compare. I had the TV ISF calibrated years ago and have tweeked it (disable svm, geometry and convergence, electrical/manual focus) and I am still very happy with the picture. I am thinking about getting the WinTV-D card for my PC to watch some OTA HD-TV that should look as good as a new anamorphic transfer for DVD.

I will be getting a new HDTV maybe in two years, but for now my TV give me a great picture, not sure what will happen to my current TV, but it will sure make a nice second TV for spare entertainment room.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Good information. I'll have to remember/bookmark this. I am curious because I am extremely annoyed with the total lack of continuity between NTSC 4:3 TV's, interlaced DVD's and progressive technology (I have known about progressive for years via PC's and used to gawk at the older "interlaced" modes for PC monitors) and ultimately the HDTV's.

9. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Most european widescreen TV's are multistandard, so they display NTSC as well as PAL.

Sony, Phillips, Thomson, Loewe, Metz all make very nice WS tv's.

My 32" Metz Atlantis displays true NTSC, not mod-PAL.