What's new

Is there optimal size HDTV for viewing 13' away? (1 Viewer)

Drew_E

Agent
simply, if i were to get an HDTV would there be a good choice to settle on for viewing at a distance of 13 feet? i think i can cram in something well over 60" in there but is there any generally accepted forumla for distance-to-resolution?

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
Drew, I think you need to change your topic header. Some people would think thirteen feet, instead of thirteen inches.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
i would think at 13 feet you could get a 65" or bigger. I am 7 feet from a 53" and it works quite well. the old standards of seating distance vs. screen size were for lower quality/resolution images than what newer TVs provide.

Drew_E

Agent
Thik - yes thirteen feet, not thirteen inches, is what i am communicating in the header. I was under the impression that ' denotes feet and " denotes inches in this society, and that it was well accepted.

Josh - thanks. i'm probably going with 57" because it fits both in the designated area and in my budget.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My eyes are exactly 13 feet back from my 57" 16/9 Sony. If all my viewing were dvd or HD, I could go as big as 65 or even 73 inches, but cable and regular satellite stuff would be a bit too grainy on that big a screen.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
To visually resolve 1080i you must sit within 3.3 screen heights. That means 47" high, 84" wide, and 94" diagonally on a 16:9 set.

For cinematic impact, I'd go a bit bigger (maybe 92" wide/102" diagonal).

Personally I run a 72" wide 16:9 screen at 10', but am switching to 87" wide at 12' once I get done remodeling.

Drew_E

Agent
oh hey.. after reading that link i realize that maybe you guys aren't catchin my main drift. it isn't about the viewing angle but rather the resolution. that calculator doesn't take into account resolution and i was just curious as to what might look grainy. i assume 57" would be fine, but i was just asking because i saw a huge 72" wide screen and the seats were too close, and it didn't look too attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks