What's new

is there no Mirage lovers ? (1 Viewer)

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I have posted something similar before if i'm repetitive sorry.
I have been trying to get as much insight on my future upgrade to Mirage om7 or om9 as possible.But there does'nt seem to be many Mirage OM series enthusiasts out there.Am i missing something or is there something not liked about them.I have gotten the Mirages approved by the wife.I tried to get either Def.Tech. or Mirage approved but only the mirage passed.Because they fit the decor very well.(have a wood wall unit).Also heard that placement is very critical w/Def.Tech.What are the overall opinions on the Mirage Om 7 and 9's.Help me with my decision.By the way i did hear The Mirages and they sounded good to me but i heard them at the store.I will be powering them w/Marantz sr7000 or 7200.
thanks(sorry for long post)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I think you'll find some Mirage owners here who love their speakers. I myself am using a Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer with my SR 6200 and I love the sub so far. I do want to listen to those darn SVS subwoofers though. They look so cool and take up less space. But, I do love my sub.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Mirage makes nice speakers. If you are looking for wood enclosures there are lots of nice speakers around. What is your price range? What percentage movies/music?
Also heard that placement is very critical w/Def.Tech.
This is not really true. You should experiment a little with positioning to optimize their sound (like any speaker)...but I don't think they are any more fussy than most of the other loudspeakers out there. Generally any bipolar (Mirage OM's included) should be given about 1-3 feet for the rear drivers to fire. I have only 4 feet of space in between my DT's, with an rptv in between and only inches away, and they sound excellent.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I can get the Mirage OM7 pairs w/omc3 center for approx 1750.00 the OM9 w/same center for approx. 1150.00.Also Mirages were approved by the wife so she's meeting me half way.I've been bugging her for towers for quite awhile.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have a Mirage setup all the way round. OM 10s at the front, M-C2 center channel, OM R2 rears and a BPS 150i sub. I think its great but I haven't been able to put it through the paces. I'm using an old Kenwood reciever circa 1975 to power the mains until I can get the Denon 2801 or 2802. I had a DPL reciever but sold it to a friend knowing a decent 5.1 amp would be gracing my rack soon.
Bipolars ARE quite fussy. Its all in the positioning. And room acoustics plays a huge role. I had the mains out in the livingroom hooked up to just a amp and CD player to listen to 2 channel music and the extra bit of breathing room brought them to life. Normally their in my bedroom which is 10' X 12' and they sound 'recessed', a little muddy and not much stereo seperation. I have had them "X" distance from the wall and pulling them in or out makes a big difference. I gave up trying to find the sweetspot because
1- they sound like shit in my little room and
2- that old amp is so bright it makes me cringe
But all this doesn't matter I have heard the potential of these Om 10s in my livingroom and at the store. One day, when my roomate moves out with his big screen(nice) and Sony powered speakers which are spec'd at 10% THD(not so nice)perhaps mine will grace the livingroom and sound great. :)
------------------

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
quote: Bipolars ARE quite fussy. Its all in the positioning. And room acoustics plays a huge role. [/quote]
I was specifically talking about Def Techs, but anyway...provided that you give them some room to breathe and don't have obstructions on the sides, the DT bipolars should not need any drastic repositioning (other than maybe experimenting with distance between speakers and degree of toe in). I agree that especially the larger models work best in a relatively large room. Interestingly, I have heard that bipolars are recommended for acoustically "challenged" rooms because they seem to sound great regardless of whether you have hardwood floors, asymmetrical rooms, etc.
[Edited last by Bob_A on September 08, 2001 at 04:41 PM]
[Edited last by Bob_A on September 08, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks