What's new

Is there NO 4K player that doesn’t have freezing issues?! (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I think the first widely available hardware with intrinsic 8K or higher resolutions of video, may very well be future video game consoles. Even if tvshows/movies shift very slowly to 8K and higher.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The main advantage of 4K over 1080p isn't resolution, it's the addition of HDR and better colour. Currently, the only difference between 4K and 8K is more pixels.
Yes, and when you combine all three, done right, it's marvelous.

Boss Hogg

Grip
Real Name
John
When I first went to 4K I purchased the LG UBK90 because it was the only reasonably priced player with Dolby Vision. I had nothing but trouble with them...them meaning 3 of them I kept taking back to Best Buy. The third time I went back I noticed that Sony had come out with the UBP-X800M2 which had Dolby Vision. It was about the same price as the LG and I told them I wanted that because I was fed up with the LG not to mention the 3 round trips at 70 miles, They gave me the Sony and I think it locked up maybe twice at first, but has worked great ever since. I don't know why Sony makes you change the player settings to play Dolby Vision but they did.
Hey I'm done babbling on...you all stay safe and healthy out there.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I don't know why Sony makes you change the player settings to play Dolby Vision but they did.
Sony claims it was required by Dolby, and that is from an engineer that I spoke with (and NOT a support agent). That makes no sense since every other manufacturer (Oppo, LG, Panasonic) can auto-sense the DV flag on a disc.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
The main advantage of 4K over 1080p isn't resolution, it's the addition of HDR and better colour. Currently, the only difference between 4K and 8K is more pixels.
wasn't 4k out a few years before HDR? I vaguely recall 4k sets being available back in 2014 when I bought my first 'big' 75" 1080p TV but I opted not to pick one up since I couldn't tell a difference from so far away.

I sit closer now, and can see more detail as a result - that's all I meant by my previous post. HDR is amazing as well, but definitely if you either sit closer or have a larger screen the resolution can come into play.

Jeff_L

Agent
My current Panasonic UB820 has not locked up once since I bought it a few months ago. My previous Sony X800 (which is still in my equipment rack) did suffer from freezes occasionally, which was a pain to unfreeze since it required a power cord pull, and the cord does not disconnect from the player. I have read elsewhere that some owners of the newer X800M2 model still experience freezes, so Sony has obviously not completely corrected the problem.

Similar to @Matt Hough , I found that sometimes even an apparently clean UHD disc would benefit from a cleaning to eliminate breakup and freezing issues. My entire Harry Potter set, for example, had this issue. Sometimes the manufacturing process leaves a residue on the disc. I rinsed the discs in cold water and then dried them with a microfiber cloth.
I wonder if it would mess up the "cleanliness" of the power if you put an inline power switch on the power cord itself.
This isn't the prettiest thing, but if it is in your equipment rack it wouldn't be noticeable.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Jeff_L

Agent
Another option would be a smart plug.

TP-Link KP100KIT Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug Slim Edition 2-Pack

I thought of something similar to that too, but he might have a power strip or line conditioner in his equipment rack, and a smart plug may not fit in a row of outlets on something like that. That's why I said he may mess up how "clean" his power is if he used an inline switch, if he cares about that a lot. Sucky situation all around.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Suddenly my UBP-X700 is now randomly completely locking up. Can't use the remote or anything. I wonder if it has something do with the weather. T_T

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Suddenly my UBP-X700 is now randomly completely locking up. Can't use the remote or anything. I wonder if it has something do with the weather. T_T
Have you updated the firmware recently? My X800M2 received an update last month.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I thought of something similar to that too, but he might have a power strip or line conditioner in his equipment rack, and a smart plug may not fit in a row of outlets on something like that. That's why I said he may mess up how "clean" his power is if he used an inline switch, if he cares about that a lot. Sucky situation all around.
Another option would be to swap out the power strip with a smart one that allows remote powering of each outlet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do have a line conditioner / surge suppressor in my rack, so a smart plug wouldn't fit well, although I am very familiar with the Kasa product line that @Todd Erwin recommended. I use Kasa smart plugs, smart bulbs and smart light switches throughout the house. I don't have any of the slimline plugs, but the spacing on the conditioner in my rack is pretty tight for something like that.

Real Name
Craig H
Other than being 4K enabled, what does my Oppo UDP 205 run as far as HDR? DV enabled? It may have locked up once on 4K but honestly have not sampled a lot of 4K. Have a few issues going back and forth from Region 1/Region 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks