What's new

Is there NO 4K player that doesn’t have freezing issues?! (3 Viewers)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You need to step up to the UB820 for Dolby Vision.
I know, but it's well over twice the price. There just isn't another 4K Blu Ray player with Dolby Vision for a comparable price to the UBP x700. I wish the freezing issue wasn't so widespread.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I know, but it's well over twice the price. There just isn't another 4K Blu Ray player with Dolby Vision for a comparable price to the UBP x700. I wish the freezing issue wasn't so widespread.

You could always try another unit. At least some of us haven't had such problem -- mine has been fine... although I haven't tried the Hitchcock discs on it...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That is why I suggested the Sony UBP-X800M2. It's a sturdier player than the X700 and has been more reliable for me than its predecessor, (UBP-X800), and has Dolby Vision, although it requires that you manually engage it, just like the X700.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Have the Sony x800 and am well aware of the freezing issue history but after going through dozens and dozens of 4K discs, regular blu rays and dvd I thought the problem was over because it hadn’t happened in a long time.
But just now watching the 4K Godzilla King of the Monsters disc the player completely locked up and had to be unplugged to get it to work again. Is there no player that doesn’t have some history of freezing issues?
I have a Sony x800.
Take it off quick power on.
Any freezing after that will be due to dust/finger prints/scratches/etc. on the discs itself.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Glad there's a thread that mentions X800m2. I have one of those. Everything plays about perfect expect 3D. I get random micro stutters. It's just one small jump at random times. like a hiccup. not at scene changes necessarily. It happens on all 3Ds. I wish I knew what to do. I wrote 220 last week. I'm still waiting for them to get back. sucks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Glad there's a thread that mentions X800m2. I have one of those. Everything plays about perfect expect 3D. I get random micro stutters. It's just one small jump at random times. like a hiccup. not at scene changes necessarily. It happens on all 3Ds. I wish I knew what to do. I wrote 220 last week. I'm still waiting for them to get back. sucks.
My Philips 7502 also does that with 3D.

YANG

Supporting Actor
I wonder all these hiccups got to do with the HDCP versions in different generations of players?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a Sony x800.
Take it off quick power on.
Any freezing after that will be due to dust/finger prints/scratches/etc. on the discs itself.
Mine has the quick power on option turned off and still will freeze occasionally -- even with a clean disc. The only thing that unfreezes it is pulling the power cord, which is a pain in the butt on my system. I rarely use the player anymore, as I also have a Panny 820 in the same rack.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Mine has the quick power on option turned off and still will freeze occasionally -- even with a clean disc. The only thing that unfreezes it is pulling the power cord, which is a pain in the butt on my system. I rarely use the player anymore, as I also have a Panny 820 in the same rack.
Hmm. ☹️

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could always try another unit. At least some of us haven't had such problem -- mine has been fine... although I haven't tried the Hitchcock discs on it...

_Man_

Having said that... yeah, if I were shopping for a new player, I probably wouldn't choose Sony. I'd actually been avoiding Sony players in general as they really don't seem that reliable/problem-free over the years ever since the advent of DVD... but have tried one (including a DVD drive kit for HTPC and a 2nd? gen PS3 for BD) at the entry point into each new format mainly due to lack of good/better options at the entry level (at the $200-$300 point).

Like some others, I actually opted for a Panasonic for my 2nd 4K player... though it's the very modest 420 (at just ~$150 during a prior holiday sale, much like my Sony X700) since I don't need DV at all (for foreseeable future) for my FP setup.

IF you can wait, I suggest just waiting for another sale for whichever player you want, including perhaps the Panny 820, if you must have DV support. The 820 seems often marked down to ~$400 (and I've even seen it down to ~$350 at one point and was really tempted) while the 420 is infrequently down to the ~$150 I paid (but might have to wait til mid/late-Nov for that latter)...

Panasonic seems like the safest choice in general... though I've also had durability problems w/ their sub-$200 BD players in the past, which was partly why I eventually went Oppo for that (but never pulled the trigger on Oppo for 4K)...

_Man_

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
I own a OPPO 103D and a OPPO 203. The OPPO 203 played many 4K titles, also some DVD's and blu-rays on both units and they never had a single lockup.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If you have an X700, please note that Sony issued a new firmware build just last month: M43.R.0284 . I updated my X700 right out of the box before I did anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors