Is there NO 4K player that doesn’t have freezing issues?!

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
My experience is that freezing issues are usually down to the disc rather than the player. I've only been using BR for a couple of years and I've had some of them freeze up on me but I just returned them to the store for a replacement and everything was fine (they don't seem to be any more failure-prone than DVDs). I used HD-DVD for a while with the XBox 360 and the WB discs were a nightmare but I had no problems with discs from other studios.

If the player starts freezing up a lot and starts failing to pick up the occasional disc, that usually means the player is on the way out but I wouldn't suspect the player until then.

My SO has a 4K player (compact Panasonic model) and we haven't had a single disc freeze up in over a year of usage and I'm always putting films on round there (she only has a few 4K discs though - she isn't a HT enthusiast; it was just time to upgrade her TV from a 14" CRT portable and it made sense for her to go 4K).

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
My inexpensive Philips players (both the 7501 and the 7502) have never had a freeze. I wipe down every disc before I insert it, and I've never had a problem.

cinemel1

Grip
Real Name
Mel Matsil
My inexpensive Philips players (both the 7501 and the 7502) have never had a freeze. I wipe down every disc before I insert it, and I've never had a problem.
Oppo-203 has not freezed on me yet. Disappointed that the company is no longer making players.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
My two Oppos, including UDP 205, never have frozen, except when it was the disk's fault. And this has been very rare.

Wiping the disk always solved it. I confirmed it was the disk as it froze in exactly the same frame repeatedly, until I cleaned the disk.

Since it is read by basically a beam of light, a dirty disk will cause problems. In that event I use filtered water and microfiber cloth, wiping gently from the center of disk outward to the rim. In the very few instances this was necessary, the dust or smear on the disk was visible and was removed by cleaning. And then played flawlessly.

I don't consider this a player issue, unless it occurs with clean disks. Never experienced that. Only with dirty disks.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Same for my Sony X700 -- only freezes when disc is "dirty" or has some other visible flaw (like scratch).. although it doesn't take much at all.

4K disc playback is definitely more susceptible than regular BDs... plus they do seem at least somewhat more likely to come packaged w/ some dirt/film than regular BDs. I always doublecheck my 4K discs before playback as some suggested, but don't usually bother w/ BDs.

_Man_

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
My God! Are we returning to the LP days? Should we also hit them with an anti-static gun and use that little clear plastic tone arm with the brush to follow the disc on the side opposite the laser to clean them? <_<
In some ways, records are a lot more durable than disc media. A record might have the odd pop or skip but it'll take a lot of damage before it's unplayable. If a CD/DVD/BR/UHD or whatever gets a tiny scratch in the wrong place, it's ruined.

Reactions: willyTass

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therma123