What's new

Is there momemtum in space? (1 Viewer)

MarkJAstro

Auditioning
Paul,
Once we get the iWarp, iTransporter and iReplicator you will be singing a different tune.
Hmmm, that steak dinner sure sounds good!
YOUR WELCOME!
;)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Interesting discussion. I believe that orbital capture is possible. All it takes is an object of certain mass approaching another object of certain mass, at a certain vector and certain velocity. The approaching object could be influenced by a third object passing by in just the right way to cause it to happen.

David Hill

Agent
Mark,

thank you - absolutely stunning pictures! You wouldn't mind, would you, if it becomes my desktop picture for a few months?!

Cheers

David

MarkJAstro

Auditioning
Dennis, All,
I am humbled by the fact that you guys are plastering my photos on your desktops! At the same time I feel very proud that they are good enough for you to want to do so.
As I stated before you are free to use them as desktop pictures all I ask is that you do not distribute them in any manner be it electronic or print. If you think someone may want to use one or have a print made, I would appreciate it if you simply directed them to our web sites or have them send me an email.
http://www.bigcigarastronomy.com
Link Removed
Thanks
Mark
[email protected]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, guys, if you want to talk about some rather nasty math, then start looking into the multi-body equations for gravitational fields.
For simplicity we often look at just the Earth or Sun, but the real math is not so pretty. Certainly something could have just the right vector when all influential gravitational wells were in just the right position, but good luck crunching the numbers. ;)
And how big a gravity well are we talking about for this new object. If it was big enough it might just drag our sorry asses off with it. :)
And of course the title question is a little funny, as if momentum had anything to do with Earth's gravity or atmosphere. But questions and curiosity are always a good thing. Look at all the cool info in this thread because of it.
BTW, speaking of mass being influenced by gravity wells, thanks to Einstein we found that light waves/particles (whatever those suckers are) are also bent by strong gravity fields. Something we also see with black holes of course, but even the Sun can bend starlight coming toward us if it passes too close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks