What's new

Is there good Rap? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I am a die hard rock music fan who dslikes alot of rap. I do like Beasties, Eminem, and alot of the 80s rap of old like LL Cool J, Run Dmc etc.

Dont like much of todays rap other than a few songs here and there. But this thread might result in a couple of new cd purchases.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
wow, didnt know another YNQ album was coming this year...Ahmad Miller is one of the made up dudes on YNQ right??
The YNQ albums is a tribute, all Stevie Wonder covers. But, it's not a sure thing to be released. About 2 months ago a bunch of bootleg vinyl showed up on ebay and elsewhere, which really irritated PB Wolf. To the point where he said that they're thinking of pulling the album entirely. I really hope not, the only other way to get a CD is to find it on Ebay or trade w/someone. (A very limited amount of copies were released over a year ago as a promo item.)

As for Ahmad, that album is out. Yes, it's a Madlib pseudonym. It came out in February - but only on vinyl. Another YNQ vinyl-only release is by Joe McDuphrey called the Joe McDuphrey experience. That one is really good.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Pulling a product because of bootlegs sounds like a really dumb idea... surely that would just raise demand for the bootleg and put more money in the bootleggers pockets rather than the artists themselves?

Steve_AS

Second Unit
You said not to take the lyrics seriously, because not even the hard rockers should be taken seriously.

The thing is, and part of the criticism of, the bands of the 60s and 70s is that they DID live their lyrics. Look at Ozzy these days. Granted a bunch of them cleaned up their acts, but a lot did not and they are dead as a result.
And a lot of them aren't. And a lot of good-two-shoes performers were pervs backstage.

So, did *you* harken to the criticism of those acts when you were young? And on the other hand, did *you* take what they wrote in their songs as prescriptions for behaviour? Did you trash your school because ALice Cooper sang a cool song about it?

I'm guessing that you, like most kids, managed to survive the pernicious influence of the devil's music. And the fact that your parents HATED it and even considered it *DANGEROUS* only made it better in some ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks