Is there going to be a Nirvana Unplugged DVD??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Salvador, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Just wondering since i would love to add that amazing unplugged concert to my collection.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I concur with Greg. There have been recent writeups (in Rolling Stone and other pubs) about the state of the Nirvana estate and that pretty much everything is being held up right now in the courts.

Kind of like the situation was with Grease (the movie). Once the court battles are over, you'll get product...

4. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

well that stinks. Holding nirvana material from rabbid fans ready to shell out cash looks like a pretty bad business model to me. But if it's about courtney then that's another story altogether.

5. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

She's screwing not only the former members out of $$, but her family included.

Her trump cards are slowly disappearing. The last song they recorded was almost leaked, only threatening a lawsuit stopped it from finding its way onto the internet. Take the newly found recordings that surfaced this month. A new untitled song played live in 1992. 5 studio demos of In Utero songs, 2 unknown jams, and one cover of Terry Jack's Season in the Sun surfaced within the last 2 days.

At this rate, she won't be able to release anything and make any money off of it. Everyone will already have it. She's got her own source of income, but is holding back Dave and Krist who would have released a nice little boxset almost a year ago.

6. Jarrod_L

Jarrod_L Stunt Coordinator

C'mon, just a little[​IMG]
    I'm sure the whole legal deal between "Yoko" Love & the surviving members of Nirvana would halt any releases right now.
    Sad, sad, sad.
    Kurt, you were cool & I liked your music, but you had some bad taste in women.

7. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Are there any DVDs of Unplugged episodes? Are they 5.1? How's the quality?

I'd like to see a DVD of the Pearl Jam Unplugged episode too. After the Nirvana show I think that's the best Unplugged I've seen.

9. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Thank you!

11. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

On the Yoko tip, Rolling Stone asked Britney if she thought she was the Yoko Ono of N'Sync, and she replied "Who?" [​IMG]

12. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Anyone heard any new info about a possible release? Or is the court stuff going on now? I would also love to see their music videos released aka Smashing Pumpkins.

13. George See

George See Second Unit

I too would love Nirvana unplugged on DVD as well as various other unpluggeds REM, 10K maniacs, Pearl Jam.

I recorded all the unpluggeds when they origionaly aired and i've been slowly xfering them to vcd cause most of the tapes are in bad shape by now. But really if they started putting out unpluggeds i'd buy them in a second.

14. Jeremy Little

No, sadly there is nothing new in the way of a DVD release, YET. There is an online petition for Nirvana's Long-form Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!, but that is all.

I take that back, Sonic Youth is working on a DVD release of 1991: The Year Punk Broke with more footage behind the scenes and possibly more Nirvana songs included on the disc.

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

If I'm not mistaken many of the Unplugged episodes were taped in high-def video. If we don't get the ones we hope for in this generation of DVD perhaps they'll be available once HD-DVD finally appears.
    Jeremy,
    You seem to be an authority on all things Nirvana. [​IMG] Do you think that boxed set has any real chance of ever being released? I'd love to hear those still unreleased tracks.

16. Jeremy Little

Yeah, I guess I fancy myself the expert. Here's the Reader's Digest version of the whole fiasco. Krist and Dave had prepared a 3 disc boxset for release around the 10th anniversary of Nevermind. It was supposed to be full of Demos/live material/studio tracks that would span the entire history of the band. The actual tracklisting has been kept under wraps to this day, but we know for sure that the track You Know You're Right was one of them. Courtney sued, the others countersued, and then a full year of legal actions and mud-slinging ensued. They finally sat down and agreed to work out their differences. The agreement was to keep the Nirvana L.L.C. in place, but:
    1. Courtney would get her "Greatest Hits" or "Introduction to Nirvana" disc complete with You Know You're Right prior to anything else being put out.
    2. There would be a Rarities disc that came out second, by the end of 2003 (supposedly).
    3. Then Krist and Dave would get to release their box-set sometime in '04.[/list=1]
      Courtney insisted on the first two items because "only die-hard fans will buy the box". Krist and Dave's argument was it is a 3 disc box, not exactly an Aerosmith Box of Fire or Led Zeppelin complete studio recordings type of thing. It is small and should be pretty affordable as well. Since Courtney is getting what she wanted, we should see it in '04 unless she decides to cause more problems.

17. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Ed,

I just have a distinct memory of there being on-screen info stating "This episode shot in High Definition" -or something to that effect.

I remember seeing it on the Nirvana and Pearl Jam episodes. I can't recall if it was at the end or begining (though I want to say the begining).

Perhaps someone else can confirm or correct my memory?

19. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Hello thread, do you have anything new to report?