Is there anywhere to buy dci quality 4k movies yet?

Real Name
Robert Hart
Is there anywhere that sells dci standard / digital theater quality movie content yet?

I know some people think that having 4k Blu Rays and 4k Netflix means we have digital theater quality at home but we don't...

2k and 4k movies at the theater stream off local media servers at bitrate of 250mbps. A UHD Blu Ray disc is just 100mbps and a 1080p one is less than half that. 4k streaming services like Netflix can have a considerably lower bitrate than even 1080p Blu Rays. The DCI theater standard uses a wider color space too. Less information per frame = less detail.

So... does anyone know of any legit services that sell the higher quality DCI movie content for enthusiasts to download?

I've noticed that manufacturers have recently started advertising projectors capable of displaying the dci color space and ones with the wider 4096x2160 17:9 aspect ratio (instead of the 3840x2160 16:9 consumer UHD). I'm curious if this is just for show or if if there is actually some content available for us to use these features?

Reactions: Brent Reid

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kaleidescape sells UHD Blu-Ray quality files, not DCP files.

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Kaleidescape is most likely the highest quality digital files you will find but not only will you pay a premium for newer content but the media play is hella expensive! Heck a Kaleidescape media player is more exspensive than my Marantz SR-8012, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED and Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player combined.

Last edited:

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Kaleidescape is most likely the highest quality digital files you will find but not only will you pay a premium for newer content but the media play is hella expensive! Heck a Kaleidescape media player is more exspensive than my Marantz SR-8012, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED and Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player combined.
Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bit's gives his thoughts and impressions on the Kaleidescape, interesting read.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Reactions: DaveF

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bit's gives his thoughts and impressions on the Kaleidescape, interesting read.
I’m glad to here that Kaleidescape is still thriving. It’s of course beyond my price range and I’m one who finds 4K streaming services “good enough”. One setback Keleidescape had was the death of Ultraviolet, as they were partnered with the digital locker service and all your UV purchases would transfer to Kaleidescape and vice versa. But when UV died Kaleidescape became orphaned again hasn’t yet been able to get a partnership with Movies Anywhere.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona