Is there anyway to test if my Component Jacks on my 27" wega are bad???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Stanton, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Well I just want to know this for a few reasons. First off I had my playstation 2 hooked up to my 27" wega in my dorm for the first semseter of school with the component cables and had no probs. So when I get back from school my mom has a new TV, a 32" flat screen toshiba. We hooked her DVD player up to it w/component cables and the picture was blue shaded. I then tried my PS2 on her TV and its green shaded.

So now I hooked up my 27" wega and hook up my PS2 w/the SAME component cables. Now my pictures on my wega is green shaded! I tried a DVD player and its blue now! I am %100 positive that the colors are plugged into the correct holes and everything. I have double checked this like 1000 times. So that's not the problem. Both TV's have cable running to them, and I am beginning to think that messed it up somehow, but not positive. Now is there any other way I can test out of my component jacks are messed up or is there some little thing I am missing here? Please help!

2. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

Check the settings on the PS2 and the DVD, I think sometimes if you get the RGB and the other kind (with the Y's, can't remember it) messed up in the settings it will do that. That's my best guess.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

(1) Try a different set of cables, there may be a break or short inside.
    (2) Unplug the yellow and S-video jacks. Some TV sets have the irritating problem of locking out the component video when something, even a cable with the other end hanging loose, is plugged into the S-video jack.
    (3) Yes it is possible for the component inputs to become defective, most commonly it is because a wire behind a jack snapped off. Another cause is someone accidentally connecting an incorrect source such as the loudspeaker output of a cheap stereo to it.
    About the RGB versus Y-Pb-Pr situation, both the DVD player output and the TV input must match and if there is a selection it is always manual. If you connect the video out of a VCR to the green jack of the TV (leaving the red, yellow, and blue jacks empty) you get a natural looking black and white picture when the TV is accepting Y-Pb-Pr.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm