Is there any way to switch the functions of the CAPSLOCK KEY & the left Ctrl key ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Matthew_V, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Matthew_V

Matthew_V Stunt Coordinator

For a long time my dad has been using a particular Northgate-brand external desktop keyboard where the positions of the "Caps Lock" key and the left "Ctrl" key are switched (i.e. the left-Ctrl key is right next to the "a"-key).
    Having had it for so many years, he's become used to the Ctrl-key being where it is when he uses his macros and keyboard shortcuts.
    He just bought a laptop and, though he can of course continue to use this Northgate external keyboard with the laptop while in the office, he would be stuck with the laptop's keyboard (with its Capslock-key next to the "a"-key) while out of the office.
    Anyways, I was wondering if there is any way (such as either within Windows XP-Pro or through some software program) that he could switch the functions of the laptop's Capslock key and left-Ctrl key.

Thanks in advance for your help !

2. RenoV

RenoV Agent

Download and run RemapKey from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit (works with XP).

3. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

Force him to learn the new map.
    He'll be more productive that way if he temporarily uses someone elses computer.
    Conform.... Conform.... Conform....

I bought myself an usb keyboard. Carry it with me to any new job and so on. Laptop be damned but those keyboards are too small.