Is there any way to get paint off my proch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Saurav, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Got some black paint on the porch when I was trying to spray paint my subwoofer cabinet, and I was in too much of a hurry. Also, the paint can did something weird where a bunch of paint just poured out the top at one point, so some spilled on the floor from that too. Since this is the outside porch of a rented apartment, I would be really relieved if there was some way of fixing this. The biggest problem I can see is the original paint that's already on the porch. It's a strange reddish-brown color, and I guess it's meant to seal in the hardwood in some way. Would using any kind of paint remover result in destroying that layer of paint too?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Saurav

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Could someone please fix the spelling of 'porch', that word in the heading sounds too much like something else [​IMG]

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I think it would be best if you were to match the paint/stain that is currently on the porch and then paint over your spots. If you use a paint stripper to get the black paint off, it will affect the other paint that is also on the wood. Plus, if you strip the paint off, then you have to deal with the bare wood anyway.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Thanks, that seems to be my only option here, and it's what my wife suggested too. Now I need to figure out how paint matching works... do I bring back a bunch of color swatches from the paint store, figure out which one (or guess at a mixture) looks close, and then go back and buy it?

5. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

... or you can do it the other way -- bring a piece of your porch (if possible) to the paint store and they can computer match it. Note, though that you'll never get a seamless match. On the other hand, since it is a rental, you just need to get it close enough to get your deposit back, right? [​IMG]

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

The thought of bringing a piece of my porch to the store did cross my mind, but I thought that was an outrageous idea. How much do they need for a computer match? If I just scraped some paint off the ground, could they work with that? Say a 1/4" square, or something like that?

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Thanks. This will be a test of my utility knife skills.

9. Robert Derouen

A 1/2" sized sample sounds right but you might want to make a call to Home Depot or whatever paint store you are using and ask the size sample you need. Also, is your current porch stained (can see the wood grain through) or is it painted? If its painted your fine for having the paint store match it but if its stained I'm not so sure a sample would help. Different stains come out different on various types of wood so you would really need to know the type of wood used on your porch. If it's a sealer then it would be best to find out which type was used rather than have them mix up a batch of paint that matches the color.

Another option would be to just contact the landlord of your place. Just shoot straight and tell him what your are trying to fix. He could probably tell you the exact stain/sealer/paint that was used on the porch or at the least, give you the number of the contractor that did the work. I'm in real estate and believe me, any landlord should be delighted to know he has a tenant that is willing to fix something himself.

One last ditch option if nothing else works. Since the black paint is still new, you might have a chance of removing it with a pressure-washer. Email me before you try this if you have never used one, you can gouge the wood very easily with the wrong tip or if you hold it to close.

Good luck!

Robert Derouen

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

OK, that pressure washer already sounds too dangerous for my hands, seeing as how I messed up just with spray paint. Actually, next time, I'll stick with the expensive brand-name paint. I'd used that brand before, and it worked fine. This time I thought "spray paint is spray paint, right" and bought the store's own brand. Turned out that those cans sprayed and spluttered, with big drops coming out with the spray. And one of them leaked and had paint flowing all over the place. Anyway...

It's not a stain, if I correctly understand what a stain is - aren't Tung oil and varnish examples of stain? This is definitely painted on, because I can scrape a layer off with my knife and expose bare wood underneath.

Good point about the sealer. If nothing else works, I'll contact the landlady or talk to a neighbor - it's a group of condos, so one of the other owners might know too.