What's new

Is there any way to get audio of STB through Home Theatre System (1 Viewer)

sensation

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
I have connected my STB via HDMI to TV and getting the audio from TV speakers. I have a Sony Home Theatre system DAV-HDX900W (with1 HDMI port) which is also connected via HDMI to TV to play DVDs. I would like to get audio of STB through Home Theatre system. I tried plugging in cables from STB Audio OUT to Sat Audio IN of Home Theatre with no luck. The other way I found is to run Audio Out from TV to Audio IN of Home Theatre which works but no sound from TV speakers. Is there any way that I can connect my STB audio to Home Theatre and can get audio from Home Theatre system as well as TV Speakers ?? I am a complete noob so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Try connecting the STB to the Sony HT with the HDMI cable and then run component video cables and the red/white audio cables to the tv.

sensation

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
Thanks for your suggestion. If I understood it correctly the output of Video from HT to TV will be through component cables and HDMI port of HT will act as input from STB. T Is it possible to connect component out of STB to component in of Sony HT and use HDMI of HT as out to TV HDMI ?? Thanks for your time.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Oops! Looks like I should have done a bit of research. I thought the HDMI port you mentioned was an Input but it only has one output, no input. It's difficult to find info about this system on the net. And I don't care for Sonys website. Not as helpfull to me as some others. I'm thinking the Sony will convert the Component input (from the STB) to athe HDMI output but I'm not completely sure about this. You may have to connect component cables from the Sonys output to the tv as well. Connect the Sony's output to the tv as you already have. Connect the STB with component video cables to the Sony's component input and with an optical cable (if your STB has this connection) for audio, otherwise, use the red/white cables to the Sony for audio.. Connect the STB with an HDMI cable to the tv (I'm assuming your tv has at least two HDMI inputs) for both audio and video without having to turn on the Sony (just switch inputs on the tv). I'm not sure how the STB handles more than one video output. Some devices will not output video through the HDMI cable and Component cable at the same time. If your STB does then this should work. If not then we have to go to plan "C".

sensation

Auditioning
Real Name
John Smith
gene c said:
I'm thinking the Sony will convert the Component input (from the STB) to athe HDMI output but I'm not completely sure about this. You may have to connect component cables from the Sonys output to the tv as well.
Sony HT has only only HDMI output and that damn output is meant for DVD only
gene c said:
Connect the Sony's output to the tv as you already have. Connect the STB with component video cables to the Sony's component input and with an optical cable (if your STB has this connection) for audio, otherwise, use the red/white cables to the Sony for audio.. Connect the STB with an HDMI cable to the tv (I'm assuming your tv has at least two HDMI inputs) for both audio and video without having to turn on the Sony (just switch inputs on the tv). I'm not sure how the STB handles more than one video output. Some devices will not output video through the HDMI cable and Component cable at the same time. If your STB does then this should work. If not then we have to go to plan "C".
My TV has two HDMI ports. I tried connecting the STB and Sony HT with component cable to get audio through HT while STB is connected to TV through 2nd HDMI port. However, as you mentioned STB is not sending the output through HDMI and component at the same time. HDMI has preference in STB and therefore component connection to HT is silent. My current STB doesn't have optical audio unlike pevious STB which I plugged directly into HT optical audio input and was working perfect.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This is a real round-a-bout way to do it, but If you bought an hdmi splitter (splits one hdmi input signal into two hdmi outputs), Connected the stb to the single side of the switcher, connected one of the outputs to the tv (for viewing/listening through the tv's speakers) and the other hdmi output to an hdmi to component converter like this one http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-component-AV-Converter/dp/B002WBOQPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322435340&sr=8-1 and then connected the analog audio and video side of the converter to the Sony it might just work. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks