Is there any video loss when source goes through a receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeRiley, Jan 31, 2003.

1. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

Example:

If I hooked up my DVD player with component cables to a reciever, and then hook the reciever to the TV with another set of component cables, will there be any loss of video signal (compared to just hooking up the DVD player directly to the TV)?

I'm thinking about getting a new reciever soon, and would like to know if the component inputs are worth it. Basically, I wouldn't want to degrade the DVD player by hooking it up through the reciever if there is any loss of PQ.

And why does it seem like all receivers only have 2 component inputs? It barely makes it worth using it as a video source.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I am running two component sources (HD Cable / Prog Scan DVD) thru my Denon 4802, which has three inputs. I have tried running it directly to the TV inputs and running thru the receiver, to tell the truth I don't really see a difference. But there prolly is a small degredation of the signal, just because of the extra cables and any noise picked up going thru the receiver. Make sure the receiver you buy has a bare minimum of 50mhz bandwidth for switching, I believe HD signals require 36mhz.