What's new

Is There Any Update on Remington Steele? (1 Viewer)

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Back in January at the Fox Chat they said Remingtton Steele was coming sometime this year? Is it still coming perhaps maybe next year instead? Or is there nothing new going on with this?

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, there are days when I *wish* I didn't have so vivid an imagination ... :>

How many kids are going to get the point of Remington Steele's name, I wonder? This show is classic, and the first season was stellar - can't wait to see Miss Fox/Wolfe giving Steele the evil eye again! And Murphy ...

Let the tease begin!

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

Sorry but what is the significance of Remington Steele's name? Other than it being the name of some ficticious character that Laura Holt makes up. Is there some deeper meaning that I missed as a kid watching this show? Just curiuos.

I will be buying this on DVD, one of my all time favorite shows. I loved the chemistry between Steele and Holt and was quite surprised that they didn't really get along well in real life.

Whatever happened to Stephanie Zimbalist???

Dave

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting question regarding the title of this series. In thinking about it, the things that come to mind are old fashioned swords. The name Remington refers to swords if I am correct from the swashbuckling era. So Remington Steele is Laura Holt's fantasy man. The kind of man you'd see on the cover of those trashy romance novels, a swashbuckler. The side of Laura that she'd never show to the outside world. Anybody really know?

I'm looking forward to this series too, it was a refreshing fantasy type show. The gimmick that I always enjoyed was the references to old films to describe a case they were on.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
That was such a great show, to this day whenever my husband or I quote a line from a movie we try to follow it up with the year just like Steele did. Glad to hear we will be getting this series.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
The name "Remington Steele" was born because Laura Holt used a Remington *typewriter* and her favorite team was the Pittsburgh Steelers. She needed a male "boss" heading up her detective agency in order to have credibility with potential clients, so she invented him.

Zimbalist did a few nondescript movies of the week, but her career never really took off. Which was part of the reason for the tensions - here was this nobody from nowhere with almost no professional credits (a blink and you'll miss it appearance in The Professionals, and I don't know that he'd done Mannions of America yet at that point) getting all the attention, and she was second-generation Hollywood (third if you count the fact that her grandfather was a world-renowned violinist, I believe?).

Brosnan's first wife Cassandra (who died later of cancer) makes an appearance in the first season, too. She was a Bond girl with Roger Moore's Bond, which is how Brosnan first came to the attention of the Broccolis.

Hmm, can you tell I'm a fan ... :>

Dave>h

Second Unit
I can tell you are a fan!!

Thanks very much for the information. How much of the tension information is conjecture? Was Stephanie really jealous of Pierce for all the attention he was getting? I find that completely believable actually but they really did have some great on screen chemistry. Funny how that works.

Maybe all the fueding behind the scenes brought out some great sexual chemistry on screen.

Thanks again for the information. I look forward to when this streets.

Dave

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thanks Deb for the info on the origins of Remington's name. I didn't know that about the tensions between the leads. I always thought it unfortunate that Stephanie's career stalled.

Christi P

Agent
I am thrilled! Remington Steele is one of my most wanted shows on DVD.

As far as the tension between Brosnan and Zimbalist goes, I remember reading an article while the show was still on that said Brosnan had some diva-like attitudes because he was newly famous, and Zimbalist had grown up in Hollywood and didn't have much patience for Brosnan wanting bigger trailers and perks, etc.

John McM

Second Unit
will the last season be tagged together with season 4 down the road? since the fifth season was like 4 or 5 episodes, including a tv movie.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes they indeed had a great on screen chemistry and it’s hard to believe that they didn’t have it off screen!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am starting to get worried that RS isn't going to make that May 25th Street Date. You would have thought by now we would at the very least have cover-art and specs out there. I have feeling this gonna get delayed further. It just would be nice if fox could give us a update on this title. Nobody has this up for pre-order yet so was that May 25th date an official announcement or just rumored date ?

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

Well I thought Deb would answer this because she seems to know a great deal about this show, :) but the answer is Yes. The show did a final movie episode to wrap it up. I can't really remember the details but I do remember that the show was going to be cancelled and Pierce Brosnan was going to be the next James Bond, but then they brought it back because of a campaign by the fans and so he had to miss out on being Bond at that time. If I remember correctly he was really mad about it. I felt bad for him but I was glad that the show was going to continue since it was one of my favorite. However if I remember correctly the episodes that they came back and did weren't up to the usual standard. Maybe someone else remembers this better than I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks