Is there any signal to LFE when listing to CD?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim_, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

I don't think I hear my subwoofer working when I'm just listening to CDs. Heck I don't think its even on. Is there problem or its only use when watching movies?

2. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

It should work when listening to CDs. Look into how your reciever should be set up to get that low end pumping.

3. John S

John S Producer

If you have your fronts set to large, many AVR's will not output to the sub. Some for example H/K units have more robust bass management and can be configured around this.

The setup option for bass management usually go something like this....

Speakers set to large = LFE only to the sub, the LFE channel is a descreet channel contained in DD 5.1 and DTS sources.

Speakers set to small = LFE + anything that is below the cross over point you chose for your sub.

Some AVR's offer speakers set to large and LFE + Any content below the a chosen cross over point being sent to the sub. (This is generally not a good idea because your speakers and sub will be duplicating content which can lead to cancellation issues)

Generally if your speakers are set to small, the sub will run in stereo mode.

Now some AVR's offer a Pure Direct Stereo mode, and will not send any content to the sub when in that mode, while others stillmay send content to the sub in that mode.

Obviously, much of how this will work will depend on you particular AVR and the Bass management offered, and also much of it can depend on how you have bass management configured for your particular AVR or Pro/Pro being used.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

REally impossible to say without knowing what receiver, they all do different things in different modes and such...

LFE is a type of track in a multichannel environment, you mean signal to the subwoofer. LFE and what gets sent to the sub are not synonomous.

5. John S

John S Producer

Good catch as always Chris...

I mean the answer is no, redbook CD contains no LFE channel to send... [​IMG]

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

If you want to know if your sub is working, this CD does the trick for me:

Amazon.com link:

I can vouch for the fact the recording quality is *very good* at *worst*.

7. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator