What's new

Is there any reason I shouldn't by this TV? (1 Viewer)

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
In the next week (once the tax return money gets in), I plan on buying one of these:RCA32110 or RCA36110.
I don't really know all that much about TVs. I've looked into it a bit, and don't see any reason why I shouldn't get it. But you people here will know a lot more than I will. I will probably end up getting the 32" because of the deal I can get on it.
Thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How is the convergence? If you look closely at the screen including near the corners, do thin white lines seem to split up into a red line next to a green line or something like that? That is very undesirable.
Is there at least one composite (yellow) input jack and at least one S-video jack and at least one set of component video jacks in the rear all of which you can leave cables plugged into without having the video blocked from view from the others while selecting from the TV remote? This is worth rejecting the set regardless of price or features.
Can you adjust, using the TV remote, the picture for 4:3 or 16:9 when viewing HDTV? If it is stuck in 16:9 this is worth rejecting the set regardless of price or features.
Can you get a true 16:9 shaped picture using all 1080 scan lines for HDTV )or all 480 scan lines for regular TV)? If not this is worth rejecting the TV for. The fake 16:9 mode for HDTV using the middle 810 scan lines does not measure up here.
When you push the channel up and down buttons does it take annoying long for the channel to change?
More:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
Can't all run my different video inputs through my reciever, then just one from the reciever to the TV?

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Consumer Reports on RCA televisions, they have one of the highest repair incidents of any of the major brands. Normally I would not bring this up but I just got rid of my 36 inch RCA Cinema Series console. Five years old and it had been hauled into the shop four times. Each time more costly than the last. On the last breakdown I just bit the bullet and bought a Toshiba, which is probably what I should have done in the first place. Check out RCA tv's on Audioreview, they don't do so well. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm just trying to help you not make the same mistake I did.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Reasons not to buy the set. Potential reliability issues.

Really aggressive SVM ... must be disabled by opening up the TV.

Potential ... not a given ... YMMV.

Reasons to buy this set ... one of the better directview HDTV capable sets on the market. One of the highest pixel count images of all the tube sets.

SVGA compatible.

Tons of video inputs.

HD capable, but need to do vertical squeeze from service menu. Minor issue.

Extremely pleasing image ... and less geometric distortion problems than flat tube sets.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks