Is there any reason at all for non-anamorphic DVDs to exist??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardH, Jan 29, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

The only thing I can think of is that the in-player conversion is not so great in most DVD players, so for conventional sets, a non-anamorphic DVD could look better than an anamorphic one that's converted by the DVD player.

So, is there a reason for the nuisance known as "non-anamorphic"??

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Sounds to me like you just answered your own question. [​IMG]

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Sounds like you did to me too.

As much as I would like all my DVDs to be non anamorphic (while I have a non HD set and a so so interlaced player), I know I'll feel a lot stronger the other way as soon as I get a better display device and dvd player.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Plus, technically, you can let the DVD player output at 16:9 and then use an "anamorphic squeeze" which is really just done in the analog domain of the TV's alignment. Haven't played with it much and its a pain cause you gotta go into your service mode and each DVD is different.

The biggest pain is that TV's are NTSC and 4:3. Why didn't the industry get rid of that long ago?

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Actually, there are two other reasons.

One, companys are too lazy or too cheap to produce an anamorphic transfer.

Two, for a lot of movies, filmed in 1.33:1, doing an anamorphic transfer would result in a loss of resolution and would be a bad thing.

6. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Actually, for a widescreen movie, anamorphic is the natural way to put the movie onto the DVD: Map the image onto the DVD's fixed-pixel resolution. To take the widescreen image, add black bars, and map the result onto the DVD is unnatural. And, there is no reason to do it, since all DVD players can handle the natural mapping for any size TV.

7. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

I also think some of it has to with a rush to get product to market. We saw a lot of early DVDs that were recycled from LD masters, which I believe happened for a couple of reasons.

1) Since the non-anamorphic master was already done and paid for, there was little compelling reason to do it again if the disc would sell anyway.

2) There was also market research done that shows that few people had widescreen (or anamorphically capable) displays back then, so why, again, spend the extra time and money (this is similar to the reasoning used for certain DVDs that automatically default to DD 2.0 rather than 5.1: research indicated that most people didn't have 5.1 capability yet).

-Christian

8. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I think it comes down to how much its going to cost the studio.

If you read the chat transcript with Van Ling, he stated that Titanic was non-anamorphic not because of James Cameron but because it was going to take the studio more time and money to create.