What's new

Is there any post chat news on Looney Tunes Vol 2? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I'm sure we have all heard that there will be a Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 2 coming out this year thanks to the great Warner Chat :) but has there been anything else spoken about it since then? I guess I'm wondering if any news of extras or what shorts will be included has been talked about or hinted at.

Is it early for anything official,only being April...yes. Did I get real excited about Vol 2 because I just watched again Vol 1.....yes!!!!! :D

(BTW...wasnt sure to put this here or in the TV forum, so please feel free to move it there if needed) :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm eagerly anticipating the next volume, too. The first may have lacked a good "survey" of all the years, but it still had quite a selection.

So far, here's the "rumored" cartoons based on what has been included as extras on other DVD's and what I've read in other posts:

Horton Hatches the Egg (99% sure it'll be on Vol. 2)
The Daffy Doc
Hyde and Hare
What's Opera, Doc?
Katnip Kollege (slated for restoration a year or two ago. It's on the Robin Hood 2-disc, but from a faded, but well-transfered print)
One Froggy Evening

Personally, I'd like to see some B&W Porky, some 1930's musical Merrie Melodies, more Road Runner, and some of the non-PC cartoons like Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs and Russian Rhapsody.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I want more Foghorn Leghorn eps (anyone know how many more there are?) - especially the one with Rhode Island Red! :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I want more b&w Porky too, also more Clampett and Mckimson!!

Some of my favorite Warners cartoons are shorts like "Design For Leaving", "Fool Coverage", "Dime To Retire", "The Prize Pest", "Daffy Duck Slept Here", "The Up-Standing Sitter", etc.

I just hope we see "less obvious" selections.

Btw, Horton, What's Opera Doc & One Froggy Evening are 100% confirmed. I'm not sure about the others.

Jo_C

Second Unit
The only person who can really tell us is Jerry Beck. However, to protect himself, WB, and the Looney Tunes franchise, I'm sure he won't say anything in advance on this until just before the DVD release.

Knowing Beck, he cannot say anything about the set that will get him canned from the project, for nothing is set in stone, as they say.

If this thread were started on the Termite Terrace message board, I'm sure Beck will say the same thing I am doing now.

Personally, I would like to see more restored Looney Tunes with their original credits...and some black-and-whites.

So, in short, all I can say is, stay tooned!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, they really should spread out the "greatest" cartoons well. A set with nothing but "greats" would be nice, but some of the lesser-known cartoons would end up being overlooked.

One Froggy Evening has been overplayed on TV, has been on a myriad of laserdiscs and tapes, and is critically praised. Can people say the same for Miss Glory or Eatin' by the Cuff?

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I saw an article several months ago wherein a Warner executive confirmed that FROGGY & OPERA were going to be restored in time for GOLDEN COLLECTION VOL. 2. This is a certainty.

I follow this issue pretty closely, as I am a serious Looney Tunes enthusiast. That being said, I have seen no "official" announcement or indication about other cartoons being included, such as HORTON HATCHES THE EGG.

Just because a cartoon has been restored and/or issued on another DVD by Warner, I don't think it can necessarily be assumed that such circumstances guarantee the inclusion of said cartoons on the next compilation(s).

We'll know more by Christmas....

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Me too Philip... according to Beck's guide, there are 28 Foghorn shorts (not counting two later episodes from '79 & '80), dating from 1946 to 1963.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Ok, now I've thought long and hard about brining this up considering how many times I've seen the shorts on GC Vol 1 from watching on TV :D

Now don't get me wrong I think this is the funniest thing that I've ever discovered on my own and I think its great :b , but has anyone else noticed the female nudes that are in the shorts? :D

I was half asleep last night and was watching disc 3 when during "Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears" that the calender behind mama bear had a picture of a woman standing in a stream and I sat up in bed laughing and I said to myself "OMG is she naked?" then after going back and forth on frames ;) I moved on. Then watching "The Awful Orphan" after the neighbor beat up porky that on his wall was a "somewhat" abstract painting of two naked women on a bed. Talk about finding something new after all these years :D

To be fair I'm not a art expert and these could be just reprints of famous art, but now it's got me really paying attention :emoji_thumbsup: Does anyone else know of anymore examples?

(ps - thought about brining this up in a new thread but since I started this one I thought ...eh, why LOL )

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The one B/W short I want to see is "You Ought To Be In Pictures" which blended live action and animation to funny effect a half century before "Roger Rabbit."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A four-disc TEX AVERY set is available in Region 2 (pal) from Warner Bros...it's the MGM stuff that was released as a laser disc box some years back, and mostly hilarious. Assuming this will reach us Stateside eventually, along with another LOONEY TUNES set and a TOM AND JERRY set (and hopefully a Fleischer POPEYE set), Warners really has its hands full releasing cartoon shorts. And I'm grateful for them all!!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Okay, I don't know all the names of the shorts, but I'm guessing "One Froggy Evening" is the one and only Michigan J. Frog short? I'd love to have that one. I love Volume 1 dearly and can't wait for the next one, especially "What's Opera, Doc?" Count me in among those who want some rarely-seen non-PC shorts as well!

Also: more early (black & white) shorts would be nice. I want to see the evolution of the characters we've come to know and love.

And if the bonus features on Vol. 2 are even half as good as the first, I'll be a happy camper.

Edit: I think I've got "Katnip Kollege" included on a Warner 2-Disc set. I've got some other 2-Disc sets that feature Looney Tunes shorts as well. Any indication as to whether or not these are more or less likely to appear on Looney Tunes collections than other shorts?

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I want more Bugs classics. Racketeer Rabbit, A Hare Grows in Manhattan, Easter Yeggs to name but a few. Of course if they can throw in a few of the politically incorrect cartoons, like Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips or All This and Rabbit Stew, that would be a bonus!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Another cartoon that was mentioned (in an interview with George Feltenstein) as being planned for volume 2 is the beloved "I Love to Singa" (about the moona and the Junea and the springa), 1936, by Tex Avery.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
BTW, about 16 Tex Avery WARNER cartoons recently had original title cards re-discovered...which were otherwise lost due to being replaced by "Blue Ribbon" openings.

A collector was auctioning off original Technicolor nitrate frames (from Avery's own collection!) of a bunch of cartoons... including I Love To Singa.

Nothing has been said yet, but hopefully, the collector and Warner Bros. will utilize them to help reconstruct the openings.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Thanks for the info. That's more than I thought. :emoji_thumbsup:

I was never a big fan of Foghorn when I was growing up, but watching through the Golden Collection, I consistently laughed out loud throughout all his shorts (unlike many of the others). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks