What's new

Is there any point in watching a film more than once? (1 Viewer)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Yes, I'm referring to the ending. I can still enjoy watching the movie. However, as I said the repeat value is somewhat lost for each additional viewing for me. :frowning:
Jon

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thing is, the ending to that film could be seen from a mile away. 'Sides, even a film that has a twist ending does not revolve solely around that ending. Who here hasn't enjoyed multiple screenings of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho?

Hugh M

Second Unit
in Sixth Sense there's the little hints that are told about in the "extra feature" where the director goes through them. You could avoid that feature and go through the movie and try to find all of them yourself.

the fact that he covers up his wounds, and the colors in the movie, etc.

Janna S

Second Unit
You could as well ask, is there any point in making love to the same person more than once?:b

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
There is one TV Show I can watch again and again and...

Red Dwarf !

Everytime I'm sick with the cold/flu, I'll plug in episode 1 and watch as many as I can. Always catch something different.

My have to try Blackadder sometime soon.

Movie for repeat viewing: Monte Python & the Holy Grail.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Two words-- BLAZING SADDLES

Everytime I watch that movie, I find something else funny I have never seen before. Seeing it widescreen was like seeing it for the first time!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Seeing it widescreen was like seeing it for the first time!
That's so weird - I saw it in widescreen recently for the first time, and it was so much funnier than I remembered it - I went back and watched a P&S tape and it wasn't as funny!!! I think it felt a bit too constricted - i.e. the cropping strangled the gags.
But yes, Blazing Saddles is one I can watch over and over. Except the fart scene which I think sucks!

Hugh M

Second Unit
If I watch Any Given Sunday over and over I get a better understanding of just how poorly the film was done, every time.
;)

Ike

Screenwriter
I get this way with Woody Allen. I will watch his films over and over, and never get tired. I had this hang up where I'd watch Deconstructing Harry and eat chinese food. Don't know why...

But sad to say, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't rewatch films much. I'm trying to rectify that, though!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Certain films have an escapism factor that no matter how many times viewed, one never gets tired of it!

Some for me are:

Back to the future trilogy (over 150 viewings)

Real Genius (over 150 viewings)

Vanishing Point(over 100 viewings)

Fletch/Fletch Lives(over 50 viewings each)

Heathers(over 50 viewings)

Pump up the Volume(over 50 viewings)

The Burbs (over 40 viewings)

Weekend at Bernies(over 40 viewings)

The Wedding Singer (over 50 viewings)

Armageddon(over 30 viewings)

O' Brother where art thou?(over 25 viewings)

Toy Story 1 and 2(over 25 viewings)

Almost famous(over 20 viewings)

Ever After(20 viewings and rising rapidly)

Never been Kissed(over 20 viewings)

2001(over 20 viewings)

Red Planet(over 20 viewings)

Contact(over 20 viewings)

Moulin Rouge(10 viewings)

Memento(10 viewings)

Bill and Ted(over 10 viewings)

The Fast and the Furious(over 5 viewings and rising)

There's probably a lot more films I've re watched a number of times, but these are off the top of my head.

Film for me has a tremendous rewatch factor, thank goodness for DVD! When Back to the future and Real Genius comes out on DVD it will be a GLORIOUS day indeed!!!

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Paul,

That is because your friends are loosers that can't get a date. Anyone who has ever taken a wife or girlfriend to a movie can expect to spend half the time answering their anoying questions and explaining some plot twist or motivation of one of the characters to her. This can be so disruptive to your train of though that you have to either go back on your own for an uninterupted viewing, or buy or rent the video, or preferably DVD and consume it as our leisure.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
My movies are mainly for entertainment but I have to have WS, black bars don't bother me at all but that "This movie has been modified to fit your screen" is highly annoying :angry:
There are alot of movies that I'll never tire of but there are also alot of movies that I'll never see

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Plenty of reasons to watch a movie again. My main reason is as time goes on, many lines in the movie you watched before have long since been forgotton. I've watched movies a couple times and sat there and thought...how did I miss that one part or..oh I finally get that joke now!Tell your friend that for history's sake it's good that some movies or clips get viewed more than once, some things should be documented and never forgotton ie. WTC attack. As much as I hate watching that clip, I think I needed to see it a few times to grasp what had just happened. :frowning:
Take it easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks