Is there any other 15" sub better than the Tempest??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shawn.G, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I was wondering if the legendary Tempest could be beaten. Is there a better 15" driver somewhere out there in the same price range? How about any that dare to come close?

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

The Dayton DVC 15" is actually cheaper and the specs are so close that I'd probably go with it over the Tempest. And Stryke's AV15 does offer more performance on paper though it is $50 more.

3. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Shawn,

The good part of this is that you probably can't go wrong with any of the drivers that Dan mentions -- people tout their favorites, but I don't think I have seen anyone post, "I built a sub using the [Tempest, Dayton or Stryke driver] and hated it."

I agonized for months and then just DID IT. I happened to pick the Tempest. Why? Who knows -- I just had a good feeling. (It probably had more to do with the amp than the driver -- I'd seen a post or two suggesting that the PE 250W amp might not be up to 4 Ohm load.) I built a sealed enclosure for it, love it and recommend it highly. But if I picked the Dayton or Stryke, I'd probably be saying the same thing!

Good luck!

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bob,

Just curious, but what amp did you end up using? The PE 250W unit is definitely capable of handling a 4 ohm load. I've built numerous subs using that very amp and have had zero problems with them.

Shawn,

As far as I know the DVC 15" is the only real competitor to the Tempest in that price range. You'd have to go with an AV15 or 15" Titanic MKIII to get any amount of increased performance. Of course, both are about $50 more than the Tempest.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

For the modest premium, the AV-15 is a lot more woofer IMO. With a slightly higher Sd (779 vs. 830) and a much higher xMax (16 vs. 23), the AV15 can move about 50% more air per full stroke.

6. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

I don't want unfairly to impugn any product, so I double checked and located the posts I remembered on the PE forum claiming that the PE 250 Watt sub amp sometimes overheated and shut down when driving the 15" DVC in parallel at 4R. I have no way of knowing, of course, whether the posts are accurate, and from your experience it sound like they may not be.

I wound up using the AVA 250 amp from the Adire site and have been very happy with it.

Bob

7. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

Shawn, here is something I'll throw at ya. How about the Audiobahn AWIS15, it has quad 2 ohm vc's and 29mm of one way xmax all for about $170. The catch is that it's a car audio woofer with a Fs of 34hz and a Qts of 0.265 . But hey if your going sealed and can do an L.T. it may be an option.

Just a thought,

-Marv

8. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

I personally used the Partsexpress 250 watt amplifier at a party playing past clipping for several hours straight without it shutting off once driving a 4ohm load.

The heatsink got quite hot though [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The PE amps are designed to play at 4 ohms and shouldnt be a problem if operating properly. Like Brian, I've used these numerous times and have never had a shutdown problem due to a 4 ohm load.