Is there any "objective" data to be found on the Mirage BPS-400?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Is there any "objective" data to be found on the Mirage BPS-400? From what I have heard, it seems like a very, very impressive sub.

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Bob,
    Though I don't think much of AudioReview, the BPS-400 does have a 4.87/5 rating. That said however, I recently listened to it at my local Tweeter and was NOT impressed at all, especially for a list of $1300. Sure, it can be had for less, but I liked my $300 DHS-1 a lot better. Of course, that may just be because I made it and I'm biased. [​IMG]
    Maybe, it was just setup wrong because I know I've heard better sub response from polk subs at Circuit City. It's doubtful though because I have known the guy I talk with at Tweeter for awhile and he knows his stuff. I do like Mirage speakers though. It seems to me this sub is the exception, not the rule.
    Dan Hine
    Edit: I just noticed this sub is the reference sub for Widescreen Review. Interesting.

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Dan, with proper setup I suspect that this sub will really ROCK [​IMG]
    But it would be nice to see some data...anyone know about this?

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Here is some information posted by Tom Vodhanel at AVS:

__________________________________________________ _________

It was included in WSR's sub shootout,

it hit 106dB/25hz and 112/35hz.

if you are trying to compare this to the Nousaine list I put together...(Nousaine hasn't measured the 400)...here's some data from the WSR on subs that were also measured by TN.

Polk650.

106/25 and 111/35.(about the same as the 400)

Pw2200

108/25 and 114/35.( better than the 400)

HSU TN25

106/25 and 112/35(same)

Since these 3 subs retail in the $700-$800 range, the $1300 bps400 would have to be heavily discounted to be in the same price/performance area.

__________________________________________________ _________

Thanks for the info Tom.

Yes...this sub can currently be found in some Tweeters for $800 (or less).

The data is from WSR...nice.

The BPS-400 is the WSR reference sub...interesting indeed Dan. The objective numbers between the Mirage and these other seemingly fine subs seem close enough that subjective measures of bass quality must have come into play.

5. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, this is my first post to the board. I have a BPS 400. It does "rock"!! I bought it about 4 years ago my first year out of high school from a mail order company advertised in Stereophile or something. It's got two 12's and a 400 watt amp. Anyway, I got it brand new for 800, a lot less than the list price. It's a really good sub with real good bass extention down to about 16 Hz. And it's LOUD. The specs in the manual give its max output as 125 dB.

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Hi Phil! Welcome to the forum!

That is a quality sub...hopefully you can share some of your insights about this sub with others here at the forum. Thanks for the input, and enjoy!

7. Wayne Gallupe

Wayne Gallupe Auditioning

Original list price for the BPS400 was $1300. My local Tweeter, Etc sells it every day for $800. That's also the price they publish in their catalog. As far as performance, when properly set up it really rocks! I would have bought it if it was'nt so big. Ended up with two BPS150i's which turned out to be a great solution. Very quick and detailed. No boom-boom-boom here. BTW, original list on the BPS150i was $800 but Tweeter sells them for $540.