Is there any Non-Original Cover Art for DVD that is Actually Good?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Jul 5, 2004.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

It seems that so many people here complain about bad Non-Original cover art. While I agree that original art should be used whenever possible. Are there any non originals that people here actually like, or at least is nearly as good as the original? Truth be told, I'm looking at my collection and I'm hard pressed to find much.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Well, Criterion does some wonderful things with their cover art, most of which aren't the original cover art.

3. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

The only ones in my collection that jump out at me are the Dogma SE (the painted art is way cool), the Boogie Nights 2-disc SE (the retro design and illustrations give it a uniqueness), and the Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion (original Steadman art).
    I also like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)'s Platinum Series cover with the red image of Leatherface better than the original art, which is just a huge close-up of his face.
    Looking at future releases, the Drew Struzan art for the Shawshank Redemption SE is fantastic, and I really dig the art for the non-SE edition of THX-1138. Funny thing about that, Lucas has made so many changes to the movie to make it look more "up-to-date", yet that boxart just screams "70s".

4. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Memento (2-disc)
    Fight Club (2-disc)
    Se7en (2-disc)
    The 6 individual covers for Cowboy Bebop are some of the best covers around.

5. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Lord of the Rings EEs have simple, but highly effective cover art. Just about all the Criterions are great also. Se7en has been mentioned, as has Fight Club. The Almost Famous Bootleg Edition is fantastic, really evoking the slightly grittier feel of the extended cut. The exterior slip case of the Star Wars Trilogy is awe-inspiring, as is the cover for Disney's Beauty and the Beast platinum. The Vista Series Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Pearl Harbor covers are all excellent. There are definitely others too.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

28 Days Later is pretty nice.

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE, with the ground-round on it was neat.

Amelie I thought was cool. The prominent green and porthole design was striking.

Quite a few of the Battle Royale covers.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly SE with just Clint and a white background is pretty striking.

And finally...The Emmanuelle boxset. Very classy.

Bruce

8. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

I like the slightly modified Field of Dreams DVD cover.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

According to everyone who posted in this thread already, it seems that what's really important to us is that a DVD not be packaged simply to market the product but to complement what it already has to offer. For the most part, I'd assume that people who purchase DVD's, whether on a regular basis or the uninformed casual consumer, all would have a general if not a somewhat basic comprehension or understanding of the movie that they are going to buy. When I walk through a video retailer, I can't think of a single occasion where I've stumbeled upon some crappy oldschool Miramax release littered with critic quotes, promo ads and floating faces and was inspired to pick up a copy. Cover art is as it's referred to... is art, and therefore should possess some artistic qualities. There is nothing creatively appealing about cheap cover ads, considering consumers are purchasing the disc to obviously own the film, it seems that studios often disregard the basic concept of this. In certain instances, such as the recent Friday The 13th announcement, where the original poster art of certain films go hand-in-hand in defining the movie or franchise itself, I believe it's important and ncessary to include this on the cover release...

10. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

MGM's The Fog has better cover art than any of the theatrical posters, IMO.

11. JayHM

JayHM Stunt Coordinator

Once Upon A Time In The West looks spectacular...